1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No master device detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stymiedguy, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stymiedguy

stymiedguy Thread Starter

I'm trying to replace the hard drive in my old XP PC but I'm thinking I'm in over my head. The initial bios pages say "Master: no device" and when I try to set up Windows from CD using the fastbuild facility it says it cannot complete set up because no hard drive is detected. But another bios page scanning the IDE shows the new hard drive as functional, so it can't be that I haven't connected it properly. Any ideas how I can configure it?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is it jumpered as master? Connected to the first cable position and connected to the first IDE channel?

3. stymiedguy

It is cabled exactly as the previous hard drive was, although I had to use a molex/sata adaptor. The other ends of the cables haven't moved. Also the new drive doesn't have a port that takes jumper connectors so I assume it is set as master by default.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you trying to install a SATA drive on an IDE cable/channel? If so, there's your problem.

5. stymiedguy

No. The last hard drive was a SATA, though I've no idea why it also had a molex connection and they wired it using that.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Why don't you start from the beginning and explain exactly how things were connected with what hardware and how they're connected now. The board supports both SATA and IDE drives. Windows XP probably don't have SATA drivers for your controller included, so if that's what you have connected now, you'll need to slipstream them into an install disk.

7. stymiedguy

The old hard drive had a 4 pin molex (male) as well as the two sections (15 and 7 pin) of the standard SATA arrangement. It was connected by a female molex and a 7 pin (female) SATA connection. My new Hitachi hard drive simply has the 15 and 7 pin connectors so I've connected the 7 pin as before and the 15 pin by a short adaptor cable to the female molex cable inside the PC. I've already emailed Hitachi for the right drivers for the drive (the supplier didn't provide a disk) as I suspected a problem there, but how do I "slipstream" those drivers into the install disk?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice