No Modem after OS formating

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hiatus

-Informatin: I have a IBM Thinkpad A21m. It is a donated laptop from Wake Forest University. I'm running Windows 2000 Pro. It is the A21m Thinkpad model, Type: 2628. I recently had a systems of viruses on my laptop and used NOD 32 anti-viral to remove them.

-Situation: There was one virus which had a large image saying "Your computer is in danger of spy ware, click here for removal instructions..etc." I could not remove this virus it took up the entire background of my desktop. I asked a associate to remove Windows 2000 and everything software/virus related on the laptop, format my Laptop and place Windows 2000 back on it.

-My Problem: My modem can not be detected. I was attempting to load AOL 9.0 optimized on my laptop and it could not detect my modem. I tried using Windows' Modem and Internet Connection and could not Detect my modem. I installed the recommended driver from IBM and Lenovo from the MDCB3C2k, thinking my modem is a 3COM modem(I have no idea what kinda modem I have. Either 3COM or Xicro, I don't know how to tell), I installed the driver and it did nothing my modem is still undetected.

In Systems-->Device Manager, there are three unknown devices that need drivers.
1. Ethernet Controller
2. PCI Serial Port
3. Unknown Device(I believe this is my modem)

can anyone help me. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions, I am not computer illiterate but with without a detailed source or step-by-step directions, I'm some what lost. Thank you for anyone's consideration.

**note: I have used Belarc Advisor, and could not get a result for my Modem Model under Communication Devices.

Hiatus

unbidden said:
You have tried the 3comm and Xircom drivers. My suggestion is to try the other two options which are both Lucient drivers. Refer to this page.
YES!!!! The situation was handled, I found the right driver and my computer recongnizes it, I think I can manage to get drivers for my Ethernet Controller and whatever this unknow device is. Thank you for the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online