1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No modem in registry

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by donsal, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donsal

donsal Thread Starter

I recently upgraded my operating system from win 98 to win xp.everything works except the modem. I have upgraded the drivers and the system recognizes the modem, but when I try to use it I get the message, modem not in registry. Anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it? Thanks :confused:

2. rude

rude

It is possible that your registry is blocked by something.Do you happen to use any 3rd party registry tools?

3. donsal

donsal Thread Starter

I am not sure what you mean by;is your registry blocked by something. No I do not use a 3rd party registry tools. thanks

4. rude

rude

Try going to the Device Manager to look for yellow !'s or ?'s

5. donsal

donsal Thread Starter

no yellow ! or ?, divice manager says device is working properly. When I use the modem test on the start menu I get the following message;"C:\DOCUME~1\Default\LOCALS~1\Temp\ModemTest.txt 4/25/2004

[Registry Information]
    Register : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Unimodem\DeviceSpecific\MDP3900^ NOT FOUND
    Register : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WinAcPci NOT FOUND
    Register : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet^\Control\Class\{4D36E96D^ OK

[Modem Information]
    Modem Dell Data Fax Modem registered on the port : 3

Modem Dell Data Fax Modem registered on the port : 3

Error ---> Modem name not found in registry

[Port Information]
    Error ---> Modem not detected in registry

Open com : 3
    ATI0 56000 OK
    ATI1 255 OK
    ATI2 OK OK
    ATI3 2.1.2.171.021.003 OK
    ATI4 HCF 56K Modem OK
    ATI5 181 OK
    ATI6 DP Rev BA V90 SPX RAM Ver 19 V90 CTL RAM Ver 19 K56FLEX SPX RAM Ver 47 K56FLEX CTL RAM Ver 47 OK
    ATI7 255 OK
    ATI8 Jun 8 2001 # 00:01:12 OK
    ATI9 USA OK

[Dialtone Information]

Dialtone Test modem -->
    Error ---> No Dialtone detected

Would I be better off just buying a new modem and installing it? Thanks

6. snappy_31

snappy_31

try going into the system properties and removing the modem completely in there .. reboot and let XP pick it up .. this should prompt you for a driver if XP doesn't have a built in one. So just install the driver and everything should be fine
    Peter

7. snappy_31

snappy_31

Also if you get messages saying hat it doesn't work with XP get a newer modem .. and did you do an upgrade or fresh clean install of xp over 98
    Peter

8. donsal

donsal Thread Starter

I have uninstalled the modem several times and updated the drivers. The problem is not with the drivers it is in the registry. The modem is not in the registry. Check post #5 and you will see the message I get when I run the modem test. Thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice