1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no modem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nooter, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nooter

nooter Thread Starter

I have an emachine running XP Home. I had a virus that I removed and then I could not open most of the items listed in the control panel. I did a repair install from the CD and everything seems to be working now except the modem. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it but it stills says no modem. I cannot open the phone and modem options in control panel. Device manager says it is there. If I click on the phone and modem options in control panel it brings up a box saying it cannot open and you may be unable to use phone. Any idea's on this would be great. Thanks

2. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

If this one were mine, I would go into device manager and delete all references to the modem. Then, I would shut down and move the modem to PCI slot 3 (three down from the AGP card). Then I would boot it up, let the computer OS detect the modem, load the newest drivers from the manufacturer's website and away you should go. The Win XP modem drivers are not very recent or comprehensive, so don't use them if you want good operation.

3. nooter

nooter Thread Starter

Ok thanks, I tried all that and still says there is no modem although is shows in Devive Manager. When going into control panel and clicking on Phone and Modem it still says Phone and Modem control panel cannot be opened.

4. nooter

nooter Thread Starter

Bump

5. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

A couple of other things to look at. Make sure that modem is clicked clear down in the PCI slot...they have a way of not always snapping clear in.\

Second, go to Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, View, Resources by Connnection, IRQ or Interrupt Request, and then see if you can find a modem. You then need to right click and Scan for Hardware changes and see if anything comes up.

6. nooter

nooter Thread Starter

Thanks Again Mark
    I followed all of that and yes it shows my modem. When I go to control panel and click on the phone and modem icon It says it cannot open and I may not be able to start telephony service. I have tried replacing the telephon.cpl file and still will not open. I am thinking maybe this is why nothing can see the modem. All other icons in control panel work.

7. nooter

nooter Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help.
    The problem has been solved. The telephony services were diabled. I changed the setting to automatic and it began working. Could someone mark this as solved? Thanks again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice