1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No monitor display after installing new devices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EmuMaster2002, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EmuMaster2002

EmuMaster2002 Thread Starter

I recently purchased a new graphics card, which required a new motherboard, which happened to not be compatible with my RAM and CPU so I replaced those as well. Unfortunately, after putting everything in its place, I can no longer boot up my computer. The fans will start spinning, and the CD drive lights start blinking, but no picture appears on my monitor. I *think* the computer might be restarting every few seconds to cause this, but I'm not sure. Here's all the information I can come up with:

Motherboard: ECS 945P-A
    CPU: Intel Pentium D 945
    Graphics card: Radeon X1950 Pro
    Two GB of RAM
    500W Power Supply

All of those are pretty much new. I'm pretty desperate, this was supposed to be a quick, easy upgrade (Graphics and motherboard), but I've already spent almost $700 on this -- if this doesn't work...

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Firstly suspect the motherboard mounting to the case, the incorrect placement of metal standoffs will short out the motherboard.

Try booting out of the case, on a newspaper or other non-conductive material.

When you have addressed that, and assuming you get a boot, remember that you must reinstall XP or the boot will also usually fail as it was a specific install to an entirely different hardware set (will not stop the boot to BIOS though).

Further, if your original XP was OEM or pre-installed, a new copy will be required. OEM license usually expires with the motherboard and activation may be denied.

3. EmuMaster2002

What do you mean, boot out of the case? The metal standoffs were indeed in the wrong position, and I corrected that, but nothing changed.

Do you mean remove the motherboard from the case and place it on something else? Most of the wires seem too short for that, unless I took the entire rig apart, which I don't really have time for.

Thanks for the advice so far. Anybody else have any suggestions?

4. Kustom

Kustom

The only thing I have to say about this is that if you really are using an ECS board id get familiar with installation of them because It will go bad on you.

5. EmuMaster2002

Well, I was using one before -- a different model (PT800CE-A) -- and I never had problems like this, and even then I had no idea what the hell I was doing.

Uh... what exactly do you mean "It will go bad on you"?
    Did I break it?

6. EmuMaster2002

Okay, I tried taking everything out of the case and trying to boot, but it just did the same thing. Is there any wire configuration I may have messed something up with? Does it matter that my main CD drive isn't connected?

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

EmuMaster2002...

Just an off the wall suggestion...

A lot of times munufactures' will ship their motherboards with the CMOS jumpers set to 'Clear" (pins 2+3), have you checked this?

Also try it with just the Memory, CPU, and video installed, just to see if it will power up...

8. EmuMaster2002

I just got it to turn on and stay on. Even the monitor gets a feed. Nothing happens though, just the blinking dash for text. What's the best course of action now? I let it run for about a minute and nothing happened, so waiting will probably do nothing.

9. norton850

norton850

Is the blinking dash all you get or do you get the usual initial screens and then it stops and gives you the dash?

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

What did you do to get it to this point?

11. EmuMaster2002

Well, first I switched the CMOS switch to whatever setting it wasn't on, which according to the manual appears to be clear. The computer wouldn't turn on, so I switched it back, and after trying it again, it turned on.

All it gives me is the dash, nothing else.

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Hmmm...interesting...

Try powering it back down unplug the power, put the jumper back in the 2+3 pins ( may also have to pull the battery), let it set for about 15~30 seconds, put the jumper back and see if you get any BIOS text...

Also if you have a spare video card try it, instead of the one you have in there...

13. EmuMaster2002

Nothing. I don't have a spare PCI-E card, so I can't try that.

14. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok...

I see you have 2 gig of Ram, are they in seperate sticks?

If so pull one (with the power off of course ;) ), and see if it will boot, if not try the other stick, by it's self...

Also double check that the video card is seated (connected) good, it's looking now ( that it's at least powering up to a cursor) that it's a bad connection, or bad memory...

Don't suppose you are getting any beeps?

15. EmuMaster2002

I tried booting up with only one stick of RAM, but it gave the same results as before I switched the CMOS. After putting both of them in again, I tried it again, and it began booting. I'm in BIOS right now.

Thanks for the help, guys. If anything else goes wrong, I'll post it here, but I think I've fixed it.

Scratch that, I set some settings (the date and time), and it rebooted, and went back to just reseting every second.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice