No monitor signal after installing new GPU

GeorgeS1997

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with a big issue i am having with my GPU.
I brought and installed a new graphics card today but in my error forgot to uninstall the previous (built into the processor) graphics card that was running on my PC.
This caused there to be no signal output when connecting to my monitor.
I understand normally i would take out the new graphics card and boot the PC up using the old one to disable the old graphics card and then proceed with installing the new one.

The problem i am having however is that even after taking out the new graphics card, there is still no signal displayed on my monitor and seemingly no way for my to connect my PC to any screen.

I have testing both the monitor and the cables and all of them work fine with other devices.

I have also turned off the PC multiple times so honestly i am very concerned that i don't even really know what the problem is.

Please if you have any advice on how to somehow maybe reset my PC so it recognises the original built in GPU or any other solution please let me know.

Many Thanks.

Hello George,

Try the below;

Shut down the computer and disconnect it from the power outlet.

Take off the side of the case.

Remove the CMOS battery (see attachment below) and leave it out for ten minutes or so then put it back in and try and start up.

While the CMOS battery is out, press and hold in the case power button for twenty seconds to get rid of any charge in the system, carefully remove the memory stick/s and then put them back in the slot/s to make sure that they are nice and secure.

Put the CMOS battery back in, reassemble, test then post back with an update for us.

Attachments

GeorgeS1997

Hello George,

Try the below;

Shut down the computer and disconnect it from the power outlet.

Take off the side of the case.

Remove the CMOS battery (see attachment below) and leave it out for ten minutes or so then put it back in and try and start up.

While the CMOS battery is out, press and hold in the case power button for twenty seconds to get rid of any charge in the system, carefully remove the memory stick/s and then put them back in the slot/s to make sure that they are nice and secure.

Put the CMOS battery back in, reassemble, test then post back with an update for us.
I tried removing the CMOS, no joy unfortunatly.
By memory do you mean my RAM sticks?

GeorgeS1997

I tried removing the CMOS, no joy unfortunatly.
By memory do you mean my RAM sticks?
I have now also tried removing RAM sticks, the battery and resetting the jumper multiple times with no luck.
seems pretty clear some part of my PC is just now broken, any idea what will need fixing/ replacing?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You did connect the graphics card to the monitor rather than the motherboard's graphics connector ?

Normally the Graphics card is used by default when it's installed. Make sure it doesn't need a power cable connected to it.

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
Alan is correct. When you install a real video card, the onboard or onchip video is disabled.
It would really help if you posted ALL of your exact system specs.

How to properly install a new video card;
1 Old card still installed, go to the relevant support site ie nvidia or amd. Download the latest driver for your card
2 Old card still installed, uninstall ALL software based on the old card ie driver, any monitoring software, any suite, etc. Do not reboot when prompted; just tell it later
3 Shutdown and remove the pw cord. Press the ON button 2~3 times to remove any residual charge. Remove the side cover and pull your old card. Note there is a latch that must be depressed to remove the card. If you are using onboard, then just disconnect the monitor from the video port
4 Install the new card and make any pw connections as necessary. Connect the monitor to the new card [and not the onboard port]
5 Replace pw cord and pw ON. Install the driver you downloaded in step #1. Reboot when prompted

Done.

GeorgeS1997

You did connect the graphics card to the monitor rather than the motherboard's graphics connector ?

Normally the Graphics card is used by default when it's installed. Make sure it doesn't need a power cable connected to it.
Yeah i tired both the hdmi ports on the graphics card and on the motherboard, power cable is also plugged in as the fans and lights on the graphics card all seem to be working fine.

GeorgeS1997

Alan is correct. When you install a real video card, the onboard or onchip video is disabled.
It would really help if you posted ALL of your exact system specs.

How to properly install a new video card;
1 Old card still installed, go to the relevant support site ie nvidia or amd. Download the latest driver for your card
2 Old card still installed, uninstall ALL software based on the old card ie driver, any monitoring software, any suite, etc. Do not reboot when prompted; just tell it later
3 Shutdown and remove the pw cord. Press the ON button 2~3 times to remove any residual charge. Remove the side cover and pull your old card. Note there is a latch that must be depressed to remove the card. If you are using onboard, then just disconnect the monitor from the video port
4 Install the new card and make any pw connections as necessary. Connect the monitor to the new card [and not the onboard port]
5 Replace pw cord and pw ON. Install the driver you downloaded in step #1. Reboot when prompted

Done.
My Motherboard is an EX-A320M-Gaming and the graphics card i'm trying to install is an AMD XFX.
However i'm aware of how to properly install a graphics card now, but the issue is i'm unable to get any sort of output to a screen, so can do very little.

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
First of all, XFX makes a LOT of video cards; you need to list the exact card.
Next if it does not work with the onboard video, it is pretty obvious that you either broke something OR knocked something loose while inside the case. Go back and reseat atx, aux/cpu pw connectors on the motherboard, pull the ram out and reinstall making sure everything is fully seated.

If it still does not work, then you broke something. If you were thinking it is a driver problem, no. No drivers are loaded until windows loads. If you are not getting a splash screen when you pw ON, drivers have nothing to do with the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online