1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Monitor Signal Unless Tower On Its Side

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by B3gbie, Mar 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. B3gbie

B3gbie Thread Starter

A friends pc (built by her dad so i've no idea what components) seems to have a loose connection somewhere internal or on the monitor cable (though im sure its not the cable-i've played round and it doesnt seem to matter) and the monitor only recieves a signal (reports no signal at all-so it doesnt even know it's plugged in) when the tower is on it's side-it's built in video (but an AGP slot is there too) on an intel board. Any ideas?

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

Well first you could tell her to lie on her side but that might get you a whack so I guess we better try an answer.

It seems pretty evident that there is a hardware problem. First though, I assume when you said that you played with the connection cord you wiggled it.

Those monitor cables have a set of very thin gold pins. I have seen a pin bent just a hair and be useless or intermittently bad. Try lifting up or pushing side to side or down on the point where the cable attaches to the video input to the PC in the upright position. BE VERY GENTLE.

If that doesn't work open the case and see if any internal connections are loose.

From your description I am unclear, do you mean that when the PC is upright there is no monitor activity including a power indicator?

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

I have seen one PCI video card that was real loose in it's slot- whenever anyone bumped slightly or moved the pc, it would not boot. They brought it to me, and I opened it and spotted the loose card. The only solution, if a loose card is found, is to try different ones or move the card and see if another PCI slot might hold it in better. The screw was tight in the one I found, just the card's pins or slot itself was made funny.

4. B3gbie

B3gbie Thread Starter

The monitor powers up and reports no signal, implying there is no ground connection between monitor and pc, it's on board video, not PCI or AGP.

5. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

I hope no-one will suggest that you power-up your machine and then wiggle things. Even if you wiggle something with the power off and then turn the power on there is high potential for both personal injury and component burnout (if there is a short somewhere). Whatever you do - PLEASE be careful !!

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

B3gbie, from your description it would have to be the monitor cord connector (male end) and the only way to test this would be trying a second monitor, or -

the other choice is the wiring from board to connector (female connector) at the PC which is more probmatical. As Slithy Tove suggests, shorts can be serious or at least have serious consequenses.

Short of (no pun intended) experimenting with the wiggle factor, unless you have access to and the knowledge to use an Ohm meter so you can detect a cold solder or short you may be better off taking this to a shop and having it looked at.

Sorry, no quick fixes here.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Does the monitor work on another computer?

8. B3gbie

B3gbie Thread Starter

I'll get the multimeter on it, thanks guys (Have to remember those physics lessons)-any idea of where I could get a wiring diagram showing what is what on the port/monitor.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/72713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice