1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Mono Sound - Windows Media Player 11

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Denver Dave, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Denver Dave

Denver Dave Thread Starter

I'm running Windows Media Player 11 and XP. Something that I have changed has made it so that I can not hear sound with Mono recorded .wmv files and Windows Media Player 11.

However, I can

(1) hear Stereo sound out of both headset ears with .wmv files
    (2) hear Mono sound from .wmv files if I play with another application such as Windows Movie Maker

Most web video clips are stereo, so they are fine, but Mono clips that I created or I think CNN clips may be Mono and I can't here them.

My theory is that I've installed (and uninstalled) a DVD editor of some type that interfered with a dll for Windows Media Player 11, but I don't know which one this may be.

So far I have
    (1) Reinstalled several DVD editors that I tried without changing the Mono Windows Media Player sound.
    (2) Downloaded and reinstalled Windows Media Player 11 (but not uninstalled) without success.
    (3) Checked the Player mute button - this was not it.

Don't see anyone else having this issue on the internet. Any suggestions? Has anyone else seen anything like this where stereo sound works with both ears, but mono sound does not?

2. Codeslinger

Codeslinger

Denver Dave,

I'm having exactly the same problem you described! It almost drove me crazy trying to figure out why some wmv files played and others did not. Finally idenfied the common ground of those that would not--they were all mono files!:eek:

I'm not sure that your theory behind the reason for this is correct, as I don't think I've modified anything lately that would have caused this. I'm more suspicious of Windows Media Player 11. I'll let you know if I find a fix or workaround--would appreciate it if you'd do the same!:)

3. Denver Dave

Thank you so much for your reply Codeslinger. It really helps to know that others have the same issue of Mono files not playing sound in Windows Media Player 11. Let's be sure to share what we do in attempting to correct and especially if we solve.

I'm thinking I'll uninstall Windows Media Player 11, rename the program directory and and try reinstalling.

I also have install exe's for Windows media player 10 and 9 (for old XP PC) which I may also try if the above does not work. I'm not all that impressed with player 11, although I'm not sure if it is just because I don't know how to do things or if functionality has been removed. I have older Windows Media Player on another PC, so I'd better double check the items first.

For my problem PC, it is an almost new Compaq, Windows Media Center, XP computer. Sound did work with Mono files at some point, but I'm not sure if the sound ever worked with media player 11 for sure. I did originally have issues with Firefox recognizing the player (maybe pre 11, not sure) and needed 3 dlls that were not installed (apparently an issue with Windows Media Center PCs - should we say No Media PCs ??)

Another issue with Player 11 is all the mods that it does to our system and programs that run automatically when the PC starts as detected by ZoneAlarm. The last time I let Windows Player 11 do what it wanted in installations without correcting the problem. Maybe a subject for a later discussion is what is really needs and what we can block.

Thanks - anyone else having issues with Windows Media Player 11 and mono sound ?

4. Denver Dave

Nothing really to do with issues of Media Player 11 and Mono sound, but I took a quick look at Windows Media Player 10 on another PC and maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like it a lot better.

For one, I can hear the CNN videos, but after that is there a way for Windows Media Player 11 to use the player 10 skin? In Media Player 10 we have an easy to find file save and help about menu - where are these in player 11? I keep thinking they are there somewhere, but haven't found them yet.

While looking at Player 10 on the other computer, received a message about whether I wanted to update - no way at this time !!! Hope we don't slip up.

Does anyone hear Mono sound files with Windows Media Player 11 ?

5. Codeslinger

Codeslinger

I really don't like the layout of WMP 11 either. Can't find the features I use. One suggestion: You can right click on the WMP Icon in the upper left hand corner of the screen and a little menu will drop down. Select View|Classic Menu and it will change the appearance of the screen to resemble version 10 and earlier. I like that design much better.

Still have no fix for our problem :(

6. Denver Dave

Well shucks - there is where the menus are located now ! They trained me to look on the right side with previous media players, never even though about looking on the right. Sort of a Windows Vista (must alt to see menu) approach. Guess it is OK when know what to do, but guessing was apparently beyond me. Wonder if I'm the only one.

Where is this stuff documented? I've been taking blind approaches to embedding windows players on webpages. Is this stuff documented any place? .... or maybe I just need to look around some more:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/adsolutions.aspx

Strange not more people with Mono sound issue.

One beer credit earned for showing me where the menus are located.

7. DKTaber

DKTaber

I was directed to this thread by someone who responded to MY thread about not getting any sound on a .mpg file that all my friends had no problem with. Have tried it with both WMP 10 and 11 (btw, there are several references in this thread about "uninstalling" WMP 11. Unfortunately you can't uninstall it; it's an integral part of Windows XP [and only runs on XP or Vista]. All you can do is roll it back to WMP 10). No sound with either, so I updated again to 11.

I've yet to see an explanation/fix for this. Is there one?

8. Denver Dave

DKTaber - is your issue also a Mono Sound issue? Does stereo sound play fine? I don't think that 2 people establishes a pattern, so looking for more. You said that you run XP and WMP 11 and 10. Are you running Windows Media Center XP or regular XP?

9. majiklister

majiklister

It appears I am having the trouble as described, I just done a check and it was only the mono files that does not play, but they play o.k. in a different player like nero. I am running XP home sp 2 and windows media player 11. I tried to revert back to wmp 10 but there still was no sound and there was before I upgraded to wmp 11. Have seen that klite codec pack my help I will try this.

10. majiklister

majiklister

I installed DJBCP Codec Pack 5.1.0.1 and all is working again. Did a check with trendmicro for viruses and spyware and all seems O.k. Will let you know if I have a problem.

11. DKTaber

DKTaber

I'm running XP Home, SP-2. Have no idea whether the file ("TheKnack.mpg") is stereo or mono. No other video, including no other .mpg file, fails to play on my system (video and sound); only this one. I downloaded a free media player just to see if it would play that file, and with that I get sound (but the video was very dark and I could find no way to brighten the picture, so uninstalled it). So the failure to play the sound is unique to WMP.

I would like to attach the file, but even zipped it's 2.2MG vs. this site's limit of 0.4MB (IMO too low to be of any use).

12. Denver Dave

That seems to indicate that some file is missing or out of whack. I'm a little reluctant to install a bunch of new codecs unless I have to because of other potential issues (my gosh 19 MB of files). What does installing Codecs involve? Can we backup files and restore if there are issues?

The mono sound issue with Windows Media 11 may only involve one file.

Does not seem to be a Media Center XP vs XP Home or professional issue since I'm running XP Media Center and DKTaber is running XP Home.

Don - can you hear the audio files on www.CNN.com (I can't).

Can anyone with Windows Media 11 hear the audio files on www.CNN.com ?

13. t bone

t bone

the audio and video at cnn are working fine for me with wmp11.
    as to why mine does and yours doesn't ...i don't know?

i use the All-In-1 6.0.3.0 codec pack its 9.59mb....not sure if that has anything to do with it though.

as for installing codec packs i've always just created a restore point before making any changes, then i'd uninstall whatever one i was using and install the new one.
    i've been using the "all in 1 pack" successfully for some time so i haven't had to mess with codecs lately.

but, as i said i'm not sure if that's the issue in your case.

14. Denver Dave

Thank you tbone. That makes two people now that can hear Mono sound with Windows Media Player 11 and both have installed special codec packs. Anyone using the standard install without special codec packs? majiklister at first did not hear the Mono sound and then installed his special codec pack and can now hear the mono sound.

My interest is not only for myself, but I also want to know what issues will face others playing audio and video files from websites that I create. Needless to say, not using Mono sound to reduce file size at the moment.

Any straight Windows Media Player 11 installs hearing Mono sound without special codec packs?

Thank you. Don't know how else to do this than identify the pattern of who Mono sound works for and who it does not.

15. cvoptimus

cvoptimus

I was directed here from another related post to add my experience to the data collection.

I am apparently able to hear mono sound with Windows Media Player 11
    ( I watched news videos on CNN.com as well as listened to CNN radio and CNN TV audio).

However, like others I also have third party codec packs installed on my computer.
    [K-Lite codec pack and Nvidia Purevideo Decoder] Hope the information is useful.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice