Solved No more admin rights because no password option

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RHCdG

This support request is due to my own faulty tinkering in the Windows 10 registry, and unfortunately I don't remember exactly what I did or where.

The idea was to bypass entering my password after the computer startup or after hibernation. I was able to disable this feature using tips and tricks found on the Web. However, I can now no longer use any of the features that require Windows administrator rights. Whenever I attempt to do so, e.g. install a program, change settings in the control panel, run a problem solver, etc., a dialogue is displayed asking if I want to allow changes to be made to Windows. The horrible thing is that I can only choose to answer (and click) "No" because there is no longer a "Yes" option! It's not even greyed out, it's simply not there.

Of course this is all my own fault but I would very much to regain control over my Windows system. Any help is much appreciated but please understand that this can only be resolved through the registry as any settings changes require the password.

Thanks!

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Unfortunately if as you say
This support request is due to my own faulty tinkering in the Windows 10 registry, and unfortunately I don't remember exactly what I did or where.
you do not remember what you did when you undertook this tinkering exercise, AND did not back up the registry first so that you could then restore it to as was, on the backup, then I doubt if anyone can help

I have a little experience in the registry but despite that I could not attempt a solution.

I do appreciate what you say
Any help is much appreciated but please understand that this can only be resolved through the registry as any settings changes require the password.
and therein lies the problem.

I also know that there are many most unreliable suggestions to be found on a web search
The idea was to bypass entering my password after the computer startup or after hibernation. I was able to disable this feature using tips and tricks found on the Web.
but even with the most unreliable for changing registry settings I do not remember seeing one that did not recommend backing it up first.
Can you not return to the tips and tricks site you used and revert the changes that way

IF not it looks to me as though you are looking at a restore point, or a reset OR although of course it must be the last choice a clean install
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

RHCdG

Dear Macboatmaster,

Thanks very much for your detailed response. Yes, I should have made a back-up. Unfortunately, I cannot retrieve the tips and tricks site I used. And most unfortunately, I cannot use any of the recovery options for Windows because they all require the password. I guess all that is left for me is to buy a new Windows 10 license.

Thanks!

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You do not need a new licence as you can even if the various options do not work, simply clean install 10
The licence is - if 10 was the original OS on the computer when sold or was the upgraded OS on the free upgrade offer - a digital licence and is recorded on the Microsoft Activation servers.
You will not be required to enter a product key

click on the link I sent - then click on use installation media to reinstall 10
that will take you to this link

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=616447

RHCdG

Unfortunately, in order to run the downloaded MediaCreationTool.exe, I must enter the password...

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Well use another computer and then boot this one from the installation media

RHCdG

Hi again Macboat master,

My apologies for not responding to your last great suggestion, I was away. I very much appreciate your following up on this!
Only trouble left now is that I don't have a 2nd PC on hand but I am thinking of the library. Can I just use any computer that runs Windows 10?
If so, I am wondering if the MediaCreationTool.exe file is not simply available online?

Thanks again!

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I do not understand
If so, I am wondering if the MediaCreationTool.exe file is not simply available online?
Yes you can use any other computer but you must choose the correct version of 10, the correct language and the correct bit and of course the computer must be capable of making the USB or DVD whichever you want to boot your computer from.

I am unsure as to what you mean by - not simply available ONLINE
It is on the link I sent
If you mean offline the answer is NO

RHCdG

Oh! I think I am confused... Of course, you are right, I already have the MediaCreationTool.exe file. What I don't understand is your suggestion,
Well use another computer and then boot this one from the installation media
You mean, boot the computer with the password issue from the installation media, right? Do I create the installation media from the .exe file? Is that how it works?

RHCdG

Hey Macboatmaster,
It's been a while... I just want to let you know that I finally got round to reinstalling Windows 10 according to your instructions. It took me a while because I had work to do and couldn't afford losing the PC during that time. It all worked out well, however: went to a friend's house, downloaded the installation files on a USB stick, went back to my PC and backed up my files, and then inserted the stick and rebooted... And, now, it's like I have a new computer. I finally was able to install new versions of my antivirus client, my screen software, Java, all these things that were way behind... I even took the opportunity to upgrade to the latest MS Office suite, so having control again over the system gave me a boost... Thanks for your continued support, it is much appre

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online