1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saracenman, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saracenman

saracenman Thread Starter

I am not good with Windows, being a Unix and Mac guy. But I have been asked by a friend to look at their PC.
    One day the keyboard just stopped working. Suspecting the teenage users had spilled coke or somesuch in it, the got an old eMachines keyboard and mouse and fitted them. This is all standard stuff, no USB no exotic contraptions. The PC is an iQon. When you boot it normally, it runs slow, veey slow. The keyboard now works, even though Windows has the wrong driver for it (thinks its some logitech Internet Keyboard), but the mouse does not work. There is no driver active. After about 10 hours with this box now, I still cannot get "Add Hardware" wizard to install a mouse driver. When it eventually runs, it does not have ANY mouse drivers listed anywhere. I have tried all routes through this blasted thing now.

As an aside, if I plug anything into the USB ports, or plug a 10BaseT patch into the network port, the machine reboots! And refuses to boot up until the device is removed.

I want to run the Lavasoft any-spyware tool on the box, cos I think it is infected with "winstal". But this stupid program does not use standard Windows APIs so I cannot use the keyboard to control it. Further more it wants to update itself from the web, a bit of a problem is connecting a network cable shuts trhe PC down!

Has anyone the faintest idea where I should start. My instincts are to start by placing the machine in the landfill and giving my friend my old PowerMac, at least that seems capable of using a mouse!

Yours frustrated.

PS. This does not convince me that PCs are better than Macs, or anything else for that matter.

2. guitar

guitar Banned

remove usb and mouse from device manager and then restart it should reload them and the needed drivers
    p.s.this doesn't convince me that macs are any better as i've seen plenty of them used in landfill:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice