1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No msconfig/help and support from start menu

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ronsgirl, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ronsgirl

Ronsgirl Thread Starter

For some time I have been unable to access the help and support from the start menu, when I click on it I briefly get the hour glass but nothing else, also when typing msconfig in the run box it is not available. I have xp home edition sp2 "Windows cannot find "msconfig" make sure that you typed the name correctly,then try again. To search for a file click start and search.

2. zacke

zacke

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you try the search to see if the file is present?

4. Ronsgirl

Ronsgirl Thread Starter

Thank you for the information, have downloaded the site that you suggested and yes I did do a search for msconfig and would like to attach what I found....however am not sure how to do that either. I am a real novice

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

6. Ronsgirl

Ronsgirl Thread Starter

I have opened both the sites that you suggested and with the startmenuhelp, I have no idea what to do, I am such a novice that I even have a problem reading it, it seems that no matter what I do I get no glory....I do appreciate you help and idea though

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can just describe what you found. That should be good enough.

The important thing is that there should be a copy in the system32 folder. If you see that one in a search, double-click it in the search window and tell us what happens.

For the Help problem, go to Start > Run, and paste this in the Run box:

%Windir%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe

Click OK and tell us what happened.

8. Ronsgirl

Ronsgirl Thread Starter

Search results for msconfig..C:\i386 10kb CH_File,C:\i386 58kb EX_file, C:\Windows\help 17kb Compiled help file, C:\Windows\help 1,0... CHW file, C:\Windows\Prefetch 39kb PF File, C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 155.... Application, C:\Windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries

The above is from going into start/search/files and folders
    I also copied the other to the run and pushed OK but still nothing. Hope that this information helps

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try double-clicking the one that says: C:\Windows\Help and tell us if there are any messages.

Was there any message when you typed "%Windir%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe" in the Run box?

Look in Task Manager and see if msconfig or helpctr.exe is running there. If it is, terminate all instances of it.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Also, go to the Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Look down the column and see if the Windows Help & Support service is running. If not, start it and double-click it. It can be set to either automatic or manual, but not disabled.

11. Ronsgirl

Ronsgirl Thread Starter

No message with the copy and paste into run.....when I double clicked on the msconfig.chw C:\Windows\help it came up with "Windows cannot open this file" "msconfig.chw" Windows need to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from the list.With the other msconfig.chm C:\windows\help iit came up with a System Configuration Utility like a help window. In going into the Control panel >Admin tools>Services, I found Help and Support and it is started and set to Automatic, It was under Windows help and support but just "help and Support"

12. Ronsgirl

Ronsgirl Thread Starter

Sorry forgot, in task Manager neither msconfig or helpctr.exe are showing.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

You should try clicking on one of the msconfig.exe files and not the chw.

Is the Windows Help service running in the services configuration?

14. Ronsgirl

Ronsgirl Thread Starter

I haven't been able to get your forum site up until now however want to tell you that in opening up from the search options the msconfig which was the C:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries I was able to check in the services configuration that indeed the Help and Support was check marked .....my question is how do we get these services to work from the start/run or the start/help and support....I realize that they are on the computer but have no idea how to move them to where they should be and where they were at one stage..

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice