1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Network Adapter?! Cannot connect to internet?!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by IronMogul, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IronMogul

IronMogul Thread Starter

I have a Dell Studio 1537 running on Windows Vista

I'm not much of a Technical Savvy, so forgive my inability to explain my the issue better. Anyway, my computer stopped being able to connect to the internet a few days ago and a "Dell Wireless WLAN Controller closed and stopped working" (or something along those lines) box would keep on popping up. I did some reading around on the internet and decided that maybe I needed to update the "drivers" for it so I went to the Dell website and downloaded the most recent version for my Dell Wireless 1510 WLAN mini card...

that didn't seem to help any after I installed it. So I went ahead and uninstalled it (I assume I must have uninstalled something I shouldn't have) and now I'm stuck at the same problem. I can't connect to the internet!

In Network Connections, it continually says that "Windows cannot find any networks". In Device Manager, under Network Adapters, it doesn't list the card there, although it lists "Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet". And from some suggestions I found on the net, I tried ipconfig/all in the comand promt and it says "media disconnected"..WHAT THE HELL?!?!

Can somebody help me out here????

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What, if any, warnings or errors are in Device Manager?

If there are any it could simply be a missing or corrupted driver so install the latest one from Dell's web site.

If there are no errors the card may have become disabled in the BIOS, or become loose, or died.

Enter your BIOS (or Setup) and see what you can find about the wireless card.

Remove the cover on the laptop and carefully remove the card and reinsert it firmly. Repeat about 3 times.

3. IronMogul

IronMogul Thread Starter

So I followed your suggestion and went into the setup screen and I saw that Wifi was disabled under wireless so I enabled it. But I still cannot connect to the Internet. The wireless card shows up under network adapters in device manager again and it shows that I'm connected to the network but no connection in Firefox or IE. A couple other things. The Dell wireless WLAN tray applet AND controller boxes still pop up and another box appears saying "Data Execution Prevention" has closed Wireless Network. I tried rebooting in safe mode with networking but to no avail. What could it be?

I also updated to the latest drivers. It didn't seem to do any good.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you connect by ethernet?

Stop the Dell WLAN utility from running by stopping it in Task Manager or, if it runs as a service as it does in XP, set its Startup Type to disabled in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services.

5. IronMogul

IronMogul Thread Starter

I probably could but my laptop is used mostly down in my room in the basement and the main computer connected to the router is in the living room upstairs. I'm actually typing this using the Internet on my IPod touch, lol.

And I don't think the WLAN utility is running at all. The tray applet was still running but I'm not sure if that has to do with anything.

I hope I can find a solution now before having to go and buy a new adapter.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From the beginning I suspected that this is probably a wireless only issue. If it were my computer I would want to find out.

Because you are not thinking, or because you have checked in Task Manager and in Services to make sure?

If the Dell WLAN tray applet is running it means at least a portion of the Dell WLAN utility is running.

7. IronMogul

IronMogul Thread Starter

Well, I have to work the night shift but when I get back I'll check to see if it works on Ethernet...

Yeah, I checked Task Manager and the utility wasn't running although the applet tray was. So I don't know.

I restarted the computer and somehow for a little while it worked. But then I had to uninstall a few unecessary programs which required a reboot and then after startup, Internet stopped connecting again. It's really frustrating.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice