1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No network connections

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shannmj, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shannmj

shannmj Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shannon
    Just a quick question. I've bought a new gaming pc which I have no managed to set up the only thing that's not working at the moment is the Internet I've looked it to it and relised that I needed an Ethernet cable to connect the router to the computer but my router is downstairs I've bought a cable that will reach to connect but I don't want the cable constantly running through the house. Will I need it to always be plugged it. It's a sky hub which is wireless

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes , if using cable it has to be plugged in all the time
    the alternative is to use Wireless connection
    Did the PC come with a wireless option ?
    If not - then you can purchase a wireless usb adapter and plug that into the PC - the only issue is how good the wireless signal is from the Skyhub to the room/location you have the PC
    the other alternative is to use the house electical wiring - by buying powerline adapters
    you plug one into an electrical socket near the PC and the other into an electrical socket near the router
    A cable goes from these adapter back to the router/PC
    (some adapters do not work on extensions leads)
    you can also buy them with passthrough sockets - so you do not lose the use of a socket - ideal for a router to plug into

3. shannmj

shannmj Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shannon
    With the USB adapter is it just a case of plugging it in to the computer or is it more complicated because the sky hub works fine in every room

4. shannmj

shannmj Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shannon
    I know I'll have to install the driver from the disk

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes
    Assuming
    a) you dont already have a wireless function and
    b) the signal is "good" enough in the area the PC is

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1176517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice