1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Networks Found, Ethernet Broken

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shniss, Jun 7, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. shniss

shniss Thread Starter

Let me summarize my issue, when I logged into my Windows 10 desktop today my Wifi symbol was just the ethernet image with a red x. I did not have an ethernet cable attached. I went to switch to my home wifi but no wifi networks popped up, the only thing there was the option to go to my Network Settings.

For reference, I had just moved my computer, replaced the cpu fan and thermal paste, but nothing else.

Now following a few tutorials online I performed a network reset to no avail. Then I did something stupid, I tried uninstalling my Network Adapter device in hopes the computer would detect it on reboot and reinstall it in a working state. However the Realtek Network Adapter icon in device manager was faded.

Now I can't connect to the internet, and the Network Adapter device did not automatically reinstall.

In hopes temporarily connecting to the internet would help, I tried moving my computer to somewhere with ethernet access, but when I plugged in the ethernet cable my computer was unable to detect it despite having the ethernet adapter in my listed devices.

Perhaps there is another fix? Or could it be a hardware issue. I'm running a MS-7641 Ver 4.0 motherboard which I believe has a built in Realtek NIC. Any advice?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That model motherboard appears to have an integrated Realtek RTL8111E Gigabit Ethernet device.

You didn't say which "Version/OS Build" of Windows 10 is installed, but I'm surprised it didn't automatically install a driver for its integrated ethernet device.

You said your desktop also has a wireless device(no description given).

Does both the ethernet device and wireless device appear in the "Network Adapters" heading in the Device Manager, and does it show them working properly?

Has the Windows 10 driver been installed for both of these devices?

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. shniss

shniss Thread Starter

I apologize, I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134)

Also I should not I did not build this desktop I purchased a premade build and added components as I went, so I am not totally aware of all of the internals (such as my wireless device)

I believe it has a wireless device, would this be integrated into the motherboard or be a separate chip? Originally my device manager showed a RealTek Network Adapter the exact specs of which I cannot remember. I removed this from my device manager but it did not automatically reinstall on restart as I had hoped. I also have the ethernet device, which appears in my device manager as Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. This is appearing as working, however with my working ethernet cable plugged in, my computer still says that there is no ethernet cable connected.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" entry in the Device Manager is for your computer's integrated Realtek RTL8111E gigabit ethernet device.
    If it says it's working properly in the "General" tab, that's good.
    What's the exact driver version and driver date in the "Driver" tab?

Have you tried using a different ethernet cable?
    Have you tried connecting the current ethernet cable to a different ethernet port in your modem/router?
    It's very possible the integrated ethernet device has gone bad, or the ethernet port being used in the modem/router has gone bad, or the ethernet cable has gone bad.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. shniss

shniss Thread Starter

Yes thank you, I changed out my ethernet cable and that solved the problem for ethernet connectivity. However my main issue really is that my permanent place for my computer does not have access to an ethernet cable and I need to get my lan adapter working again.

In this case I don't even know where to start because my computer is not showing any lan adapter, is it possible that the lan chip fried at some point, because it would be strange for my computer not to register it's existence at all.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

For your reference, a 'lan adapter' includes all manner of network adapters, ethernet or Wi-Fi. The term you are looking for is a 'Wi-Fi adapter'.

Usually desktop motherboards do not include Wi-Fi. So you may have been using a USB Wi-Fi module. They are tiny. And may have dropped away when you were moving and fixing your computer.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    We're not there, so we don't know if your computer actually has a wireless device.
    Does the "Network Adapters" heading in the Device Manager show any other device, besides the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller device?
    I'm glad to hear changing to a different ethernet cable resolved your wired connection problem. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Do you have any entries under "Other/Unknown Devices" in device manager? If the system didn't automatically install the adapter drivers it most likely would be there.

Also, check all the USB slots for a small WiFi dongle. If you find one then remove it, reboot and insert it again. If there isn't one. THen you may have to open the case and see if there is one on the motherboard or as a expansion card.

Here's a picture of what an on-board Wifi card may look like:

Int wifi card.jpg

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Judging by the manual I found for the MS-7641 Ver 4.0 motherboard, there is no internal WiFi card FireFly mentioned so if you did have wireless connectivity, it would be either a PCI card in one of the bottom 2 slots of the board or a USB dongle.

upload_2019-6-12_7-19-28.png

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    shniss hasn't replied back to any of us in the past 5 days, so any further comments and advice from us may be a waste of time.

---------------------------------------------------------------

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!