1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Networks Showing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Hannahif, Oct 2, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Hannahif

Hannahif Thread Starter

Recently I've been having some network issues! I should start off that my computer is an HP Envy x360 Model 15m-cp0012dx. First time there were no network connections, I was unable to enable the wifi and so on. I tried multiple things such as updating the driver, uninstalling the driver, and then eventually a system restore. The system restore took around 35 hours yikes but it eventually fixed it, until yesterday when it broke again. I was in the middle of trying to get a game to work I was messing with disabling the antivirus on my computer. All of a sudden my wifi capabilities dissapeared. The icon goes away and all networks are now not visible. I checked to see if several different network things were enabled and they were disabled. I went ahead and enabled them and that brought the wifi icon back, and wifi is now enabled when I check in my adapter options. However even though wifi is enabled no possible networks are showing in my wifi area. I am trying another system restore to see if that works. Please let me know if I should try anything else. Also, if you have any insight on why my computer is having consistent issues with network connection with only 1 year of use and no hardware damage please do share! Thank you!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If this is a 3rd party antivirus, uninstall it. 3rd party antivirus are having a tough time catching up with Win 10 semi-annual upgrades. And they have incompatibilities resulting in many different unpredictable problem areas.. Uninstall the antivirus, the Windows Defender that comes with Win 10 is pretty good.

3. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Does your Wifi device show up in "device Manager"?
    Without knowing the machine and whether you have an internal or external WIfi i can give you just a few simple things to check.

If the device is external and not showing in Device Manager.
    THen shut it off and try to move the dongle to a different USB (If that's what you have)
    Did you accedentially move the dongle and loose connection?

The rest is for both internal/external devices

If you do not have the machine set in "flightmode" and didn't accidentally turn the Wifi switch off, if it has one. THen I do as Lunalander said and disable the 3'rd party av, if you have one.
    Next would be to remove all drivers and applications associated with the wifi device. Download the latest versions of both WIFi and Bluetooth, I assume you have that too.
    SHut down. Remove the battery and a/c power for a few minutes. Then, upon boot, it should find the device and ask for the drivers for it. Those drivers you downloaded previously.

But first. Make sure the Wifi switch isn't set to "Off" and that "Airplanemode" isn't enabled.

In a worse case scenarero your Wifi component has died and you'll need to get a new you. Again, without knowing the specs, I'd certainly go for a dual-band dongle. Easy to install and fairly cheap.

It all depends on the machine, it's devices and when you need to do with it.

Soorry about this "messy" response. If you need anything clarified, please just ask.

PS. I'll look up the machine you mentioned in your OP

4. Hannahif

Hannahif Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Wifi doesn't show up and airplane mode isn't enabled. This is a recurrent issue. I have had to either uninstall the driver or do a restore point reset to fix it at least 5 times now. It will work for a while then poop out again. I'm not exactly sure what's happening if you have any idea, I'm very confused!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice