1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no new shortcuts

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jlw68, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jlw68

jlw68 Thread Starter

I tried to make new shortcuts by right clicking on the desktop and pasting the url in the first command line presented. However when I tried this today it wouldn't work - it didn't start a new shortcut icon. So I tried a new folder and it did that ok.

I did use combofix yesterday and that is the only alteration I have done of late - unless the trouble I had that caused the use of combofix killed of my ability to create new shortcuts.
    cheers
    jimW

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Just curious, why did you run Combofix? This should only be used when a qualified member or a modertor ask' you to do it.
    Combofix, is a Very Powerfull Tool and that is why even with my experience in computers I use with Extreme caution and only after I have made the proper backups, etc.

Best of luck and hopefuly someone with Combofix qualifications will be along to help you.
    Take care
    Ray

3. jlw68

jlw68 Thread Starter

I used combofix on the advise of TSH here when I had a problem with a slow response to browser requests.
    It cured that but then the 'no new shortcuts' arrived. Having googled that problem the suggestion is to 'restore' the registry. Would this be advisable?
    cheers
    jimW

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Are you doing this with Internet Explorer?

If so, open the Web page you wish to send to the desktop, click File > Send > Shortcut to Desktop.

5. jlw68

jlw68 Thread Starter

I'm using Vista Home in this machine.
    Ususlly I right click on the desktop and put the url in that window and call it something recognizeable with it's direction.
    The trouble with restoring my registry may well bring back it's original problem wont it? I don't know much about these things.
    cheers
    jimW

6. Phantom010

Is it working with my method?

If not, it might be a simple file association problem for shortcuts that we might be able to fix.

7. jlw68

jlw68 Thread Starter

No, Vista must be different to XP,
    Cheers
    jimW

8. Phantom010

Try this fix: LNKFix

Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the Desktop. Right-click the .REG file and choose Merge. Note that you need to be an Administrator to apply this fix.

Reboot the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

9. jlw68

jlw68 Thread Starter

It opened a loop where something opened flashed the screen white, closed it and it just repeated this sequence until I managed to click on some thing that stopped the loop. Nothing new showed on the desktop.
    cheers
    jim
    PS I am the systems administrator.

10. Phantom010

Did you reboot after?

11. jlw68

jlw68 Thread Starter

No I didn't. Should I have?
    Need I re-boot now?
    cheers
    jimW

12. Phantom010

Yes, try rebooting.

13. jlw68

jlw68 Thread Starter

Ok, I didn't pick up that message until after I re-booted a few minutes ago - and it's now working fine. We have been out all day (unusually) and have only recently got back.
    Thanks to all concerned, it's now working a treat.
    Cheers
    jimW

14. Phantom010

You're welcome!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice