1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Normal.dot found on my machine? Does that mean I'm not Normal?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by davep_2001, Jul 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davep_2001

davep_2001 Thread Starter

To begin with Word 2000 was stuck in full view with no toolbars. So I did what the pros told me to do and added the /a in the run menu. That seems to work for new documents but not for the old ones of which there are thousands. Also the fix does not remain and word continues to open in full view with no toolbars unless i do the /a thing. To top things off I don't get a Normal.dot when I use search. Does that mean I'm not normal? Thanks Bill! Anyhow, is there any fix for such an abnormal problem?

2. BoWillis

BoWillis

To me that does sound Ab normal considering that when you find the normal.dot doc, you erase it, and Word is suppose to re-create this file automatically. I would suggest un-installing and re-installing the software. If it continues after that well then I would personally write Bill a letter and tell him he owes you lunch!!!

3. Merry_Meet

Merry_Meet

You might want to pop over to Dreamboat's area
    http://www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm
    normal.dot should indeed recreate itself when launched.
    (see exerpt below)

I would also pop over to the Security forum here and see if something in there might be of assistance. Check out Rollin'Rog's "Important" thread. Specifically, download and run an app called SpyBot to see if there are any gremlins in your machine (first time user - look at only items marked in Red - if you don't know what to do, there are many many Security experts in that area to help you)

===================
    Normal Dot What?
    Understanding normal.dot is important when troubleshooting Word. Normal.dot (endearingly referred to as Normal Dot Dot) is the default or global template that Word uses to create a blank document. Normal.dot is always in use when Word is open, even if you are using another template. It is very common for normal.dot files to become corrupt. They also store macro viruses.

When you launch Word, it looks for normal.dot and opens it. If your normal.dot is corrupt, it can cause Word to crash upon launching Word.

If Word cannot locate a normal.dot file, it creates a brand new one. When you first install Word, normal.dot is not installed with it. Uninstalling does not delete normal.dot. These facts explain why reinstalling Office or Word does not fix a problem with a corrupt or virus-infected normal.dot file. Your newly installed program finds normal.dot right where it was before.

The location of the normal.dot file that Word is looking for can be found by opening Word, and using Tools-Options, File locations tab. Double-click User templates. The location is in the lower area of the window under Folder name. If you're unable to see the whole path, hit your Home key on the keyboard.

You may have settings in your normal.dot that you would like to keep, such as customized toolbars and macros, while getting rid of normal.dot may be necessary due to corruption. So, instead of deleting normal.dot, it is recommended that you rename it to abnormal.dot or normal1.dot. Then, you can use the Organizer to copy such things as macros and toolbars from the old template to the new one.

For more information on normal.dot and Word 2000, see the MS Technet Article at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q214/2/15.ASP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!