1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No one can Solve this!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by futbolbjk, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. futbolbjk

futbolbjk Thread Starter

Well I just built my first ever computer build with:

PSU OCZ|OCZ600SXS 600W RT - Retail

CPU INTEL|C2Q Q6600 2.40G 775 8M R - Retail

MEM 2Gx2|OCZ DII800 OCZ2RPR800C44GK - Retail

VGA EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR 8800GT 512M - Retail

DVD BURN PIONEER|DVR-216DBK 20X % - OEM

CASE COOLERMAS|CAC-T05-UW BLK RT - Retail

MB GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L 775 P45 RT - Retail

HD 500G|SAMG 7K 16M SATA2 HD502lJ % - OEM

Every time i turn off this new computer and then try to turn it back on, i get a blank screen. So i need to open the case, clear the cosmos thing by holding something metal to the two little sticks or taking out the battery, and then i can turn it back on. So i just decided to clear the cosmos and then install my Windows Vista 64-bit. after i did that i installed my motherboard driver disk and video card driver disk. Everything works fine when the computer is on, but when i turn the computer off, i can't turn it back on without doing what i described above... this is very annoying and i don't want to have to do this everytime i turn my computer off. but when i restart the computer either by going through the start menu, or pressing the restart button on my actual computer, it works fine. It's only if i turn it off through the start menu or by pressing the button on the computer. (i have one button for restarting and one button for turning off and on, on the actual computer). Please help!

2. nessyguin

nessyguin

I assume you are shorting the CMOS because there's no jumper on the pins . There are probably three pins , two of which should be jumpered (shorted, if you like) . If pins 1 and 2 clear CMOS you are then supposed to set the jumper back to pins 2 and 3 to retain any BIOS settings (the jumper settings may be vice/versa on your mobo) . Without the jumper CMOS will not remember the CMOS and BIOS settings which would explain why you have to do this every time you hard boot (soft booting doesnt shut down power to the mobo ) . Have you got any jumpers knocking about ? Maybe off an old CD drive or something ?

3. K7M

K7M

According to the manual there is only a jumper to clear the cmos. What version of the bios do you have. I have read some of the bios ver that ship with the board are buggy. The latest ver is F8, you might want to flash the bios.

4. futbolbjk

futbolbjk Thread Starter

Ok well i'm kinda of new to this whole thing, so i don't really know what that means... how do i tell what version i have of bios? and for the jumper thing, no i don't. but there are only 2 little metal stick things sticking up, not 3. How do i flash the bios? sorry, im just so new to a lot of this.

5. K7M

K7M

Read the manual that came with your motherboard. It tells you how to find the bios ver in section 2-1. I checked the gigabyte website and you have to have ver F4 or above to support your CPU.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The bios ver # is displayed during post. You can freeze the screen [stop post] by hitting the "pause" key. Hit any ket to resume post. Read your manual carefully; you should have three pins for cmos. The jumper needs to be installed on the correct pins.

7. K7M

K7M

I already checked that for him. There are only two pins. open is normal jumpered clears the cmos. I thought that was kind of odd when he described it so I downloaded the manual.

8. By_Rock

By_Rock

Problem with your screen. When you start computer turn off your monitor and wait like 20 seconds turn back on. Try to change your monitor resolution or Hz settings. Your video card is sending frequency more than your screen capacity.

9. futbolbjk

futbolbjk Thread Starter

my bios version is 6. And for the monitor thing, i waited 20 sec and turned back on, nothing changed. And how do i change the resolution or Hz settings, and what would i change it to?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is irrelevant. If you are not getting a post display, changing the screen res is NOT going to fix the problem. I am checking the gigabyte site right now for some info.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I am having quite a problem with the gigabyte site. I am trying to download the manual however it is not working very well.

If you are sure there are not supposed to be jumpers on the clear cmos pins, here is what I would do.
    Pull the cmos battery and inspect the contacts for the battery. Make sure it fits in the battery holder/well correctly.
    Once done, clear cmos and replace/remove jumper as needed. Now pw ON the system and enter the bios. Load defaults; save settings and exit. If it does not post after the above, I would RMA the board and get a replacement.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!