1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No operating system disks - what to do

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pixiepoo, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pixiepoo

pixiepoo Thread Starter

I am thinking of buying a second hand PC, only problem is in the advert it says that it has windows XP pro loaded onto the system but that they are not selling the license/product key with the computer so the OS should be taken off upon receipt of the PC.

Im just wondering how i go about installing my own OS onto it (or can you really just leave the previous one on there?)

I can't really afford to go and buy a new full Windows XP CD, would the XP upgrade CD work instead - or do i need the previous product key to load it?

Cheers for any help

2. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

not all might be lost ... is it an OEM (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.)?

can you locate a folder i386 on your system?

3. pixiepoo

pixiepoo Thread Starter

Sorry im a bit of a newbie to this techie stuff...Erm its a Mesh computer I think.

As far as locating the file goes, i havent actually got the PC - im just thinking of getting it and wanted to see if the OS problem could be sorted out before comitting to buying.

The only operating system CD i have is for Windows 98.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If they sell you the PC with an OS on it and do not supply the install disk they are selling you an illegal OS, the computer has to come either with NO OS or if it has an OS on it then it has to have the product ID and the disk with it.
    Personally I would stay away from this one and let the sell it to someone else.

Keep an eye out in the Officemax sale adds you can usually find a good computer that will sell between $300.00 to $400.00 and it will come with a most important item = a warranty!!!

5. pixiepoo

pixiepoo Thread Starter

could I not just format the hard drive and put my own OS on?

6. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

of course.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/631760