1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No operating system found message

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by vkim1019, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vkim1019

vkim1019 Thread Starter

When I boot my computer, I get a message saying, "No Operating System was found on any devices." Can anyone help me with this?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

What is the history of the machine...everything working fine up until now? You just turned it on and out of the blue it said that?

3. vkim1019

vkim1019 Thread Starter

Yes. That is what happened. My sister and I have the same machine. Compaq Presario 7360. We bought them within a couple of weeks of each other. Hers did the same thing a week ago. She took it to a programmer who said the harddrive was bad, so he put a new one in for her. I find that hard to believe. I am assuming that the system files have been scrambled for some odd reason.

4. ~Candy~

What operating system are you running?

5. vkim1019

vkim1019 Thread Starter

Win 98

6. ~Candy~

Ok, do you have a windows 98 boot disk?

If not, you can download one from here:

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

Save it to your desktop, NOT to a floppy disk.....then double click on the file, and follow the instructions to create a boot disk....boot the problem computer with this disk....choose option 2, without cdrom support....once at the a: prompt, type:

sys c:

(space after the second s)
    and hit enter

You should see a message saying system files transferred....

then take the disk out of the floppy drive and reboot.......

7. vkim1019

vkim1019 Thread Starter

I did that. It didn't work. I ran scandisk too. That said nothing was found wrong, yet it still will not boot. I don't know what else to do.

8. ~Candy~

Did it say system files transferred?

9. vkim1019

vkim1019 Thread Starter

Yes, it said that. I have tried everything, but with no luck. I think the harddrive was corupted somehow. I,m going to have to install a new harddrive. Do you anything about that? I haven't installed one in years. How would I transfer all the info from the old one? If you have any info, it would be greatly appreciated.

10. ~Candy~

Most new hard drives come with very nice setup documentation. If you follow along, you should be fine. They also include a floppy disk that IF IT IS POSSIBLE that data can be retrieved from your old drive, you can just copy everything to the new drive.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice