1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No operating system found

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by SLosasso, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SLosasso

SLosasso Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new here and did a search but could not find any threads about this, so forgive me if I missed it.
    Here's my problem, I have an HP Pavilion running win 98, (it is about 3 years old). About 1 month ago I turned it on and it came up with the error "no operating system found" . I shut it down and started it again and went into the set-up menu it showed win 98 as the os but would not let me go any further. So I used the recovery disc that came with it, it worked fine but every few days or maybe a week it does the same thing and I have to use the recovery disc. I did run discscan and everything was good. I'm not sure what the problem is. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thank you for your help

2. walkeriam

walkeriam

Make sure there is no CD in the CD-ROM DRIVE and no FLOPPY DISK in the FLOPPY DRIVE when you are trying to start your computer. If there is, you will sometimes get that error message.

3. SLosasso

SLosasso Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick reply. That was the first thing I checked and there was not any CD or floppy in the drives.

4. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Scan for viruses and spyware ;)

5. SLosasso

SLosasso Thread Starter

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, there was no virus or spyware on the computer. I did however remove Grokster from the computer and it has not acted up since. So I don't know if that was the problem.

Thanks for your help I may be back

6. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

... that'll do it :D

7. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Working on the concept that if you have one (spyware) you have more, let's take a look at what is really there.

Go to http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download HiJackThis. Use Winzip to unzip it, then install and run it. To run, click the “Scan” button. When it's done the "Scan" button changes to "Save Log". Save the log file it creates (it should open in Notepad at that point). Copy and paste the results in your next post. Most of what it finds is harmless, so do not do anything yet. Someone will be glad to help you sort out any of the baddies that may be in there.

IF you get an error saying msvbvm60.dll is missing,
    Download and run the MS visual basic 6.0 runtime files

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice