no operating system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

paul_taz

hi all

i have a hp pavilion laptop had problems with it needed to restore system ...disc's wouldn't work as it kept saying wrong model number so i phoned hp they said i had to download a file to update my bios which i did and got them to talk me through it so i didn't get anything wrong ..but after the download and i rebooted my system all i got was no operating system found hp basically said oops and they would get back to me when they did they said they wasn't liable for it and wouldn't help any further since then i have tried everything i can think of. and everything i have searched for has not worked i have tried a me boot disc my restore disc's a 98 boot disk and even a new copy of xp it will not boot anything the only thing i was able to get to even run was a ms dos start up disk but am lost now how to get anything to boot up can someone please help
operating system that was on there was windows me

So it will boot with a DOS floppy?

You probably need to go into the BIOs and change the boot sequence to CD first and floppy second. then try the XP CD.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What is the model number of that HP Pavilion laptop?

Did the restore CD you used come with that laptop or with another computer?

paul_taz

flavallee said:
What is the model number of that HP Pavilion laptop?

Did the restore CD you used come with that laptop or with another computer?
the model is a pavilion n5441 and the cd are a replacement as the first cds where stolen but but have used them before and worked fine.

also tryed full version of XP which will work on any computer.

the ms dos disk i have tryed was made on a XP computer when inserted into the laptop it is listing windows ME so it would seem that windows ME is still on the laptop it will not boot windows.

the only way i get a command promt is by useing the ms dos disk but no commands will work.

thanks again for ur time

paul

oh dear this is a pickle..............
Right, again I would say check the boot sequence in the BIOS and make sure it's set to a/cd-rom/c.
Also, is there anyway you could get the old BIOS back?

You need to download a good Win98 boot/install floppy disk with Cd rom support.
You can get one free at bootdisk.com.
Once you boot with it, you can fdisk and format the HD.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Go here and click the "Windows 98 boot floppy image" link. This will download the win98_img.exe file. Save the file somewhere. Insert a blank floppy disk in its drive. Double-click the file and allow it to extract its contents into the floppy disk. DO NOT copy-and-paste the file into the floppy disk, as it won't work that way. Once you're done, you'll have a fully-bootable startup disk for running FDISK and FORMAT and installing Windows from scratch.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts