1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no operating system???

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Missbecky, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Missbecky

Missbecky Thread Starter

I have a micron computer that I am working on at work and when it boots up it just says no operating sytem.

At first I thought that the Hard drive was fried so I bought a new one and tried to reinstall win 98. When using the boot disk the computer just says that the cdrom drive isn't installed and installation will be terminated. I didn't know exactly what to do so I hooked a new hard drive up to another computer to install 98. I finished installing 98 and then swapped the hard drive back into the computer that said the cdrom isn't installed. It still stated that I have no operating system? Is there something else that could be causing the system to not recognize the operating system?
    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Rockn

Rockn

Check the BIOS to see if it has lost it's confiuration settings for the hard drive. If you get to the first page in the BIOS look at the time setting....if it's way off your battery on the motherboard is probably dead. If you get a CMOS checksum error occaisionally at boot up that's another indication of a bad battery.

3. Trish-AA

Trish-AA

I'd go along with Rockn on the CMOS battery. But if you can get into the BIOS maybe try the Auto Detect feature.
    Also we once had a similar situation with a PC that had a bad monitor connection.

4. shelley

shelley

It may not be all doom and gloom here. One of my PC's occasionally decides it's not going to see the OS but it always comes to its senses after I've slapped the Power Off switch. In fact, it hasn't done it for quite a while now... (duh, now what have I said).

5. Missbecky

Missbecky Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip guys...I will be sure and try that on monday! If I can't get anywhere with that I will reply again on monday!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice