1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no operating sytem found

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kellyr, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kellyr

kellyr Thread Starter

howdy again,
    i got a friend who has a HP pavilion PII 400 Mhz, windows 98, he says he came home from work today and it says "no operating system found"
    He has no boot disk, he does have a cd that came with it for system restore, what does he need to do?
    also, how to restore system from a previos date?
    Thanks, Kelly R

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi kelly, first thing, can he restart the computer first....does he get the same error message? Doe he have a floppy disk in the floppy drive?

He can download a boot disk from here:

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

(have him save it to his desktop, (not to the floppy) then double click on the file and follow instructions to create a boot floppy.....have him boot with that, and once at the a: prompt, type:

sys c:
    (space after the second 's')
    and hit enter

does it say system files transferred? If so, have him resart.

3. kellyr

kellyr Thread Starter

Well, I will have to ask some things of him, but i think he told me that yes he can restart it, but it doesn't even show hime his desktop. I will find out asap and pass any info on.
    Thanks, kelly

4. kellyr

kellyr Thread Starter

ok, he cannot even reach his desktop, no matter what he tries when starting he gets to same screen, "no operating system sound" with flashing cursor-no prompt.
    I am going to make him a boot disk and let him try it later, then see if he can do anything.
    thanks, Kellyr

5. JoyousMonkey

JoyousMonkey

Hi.

If there is no joy with using the Win98 / ME boot floppy, it'll probably mean doing a full recovery using the bootable recovery CD. On the older HP machines this should be a case of inserting the boot CD and powering down. Wait about 20 secs and restart. It should then boot to the recovery menu... If it doesn't, you may need to set the BIOS to boot from the CD Drive before the HDD.

Joyous Monkey

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice