1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Optical Drive Detected - no lower/upper filters

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DINAMO788, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DINAMO788

DINAMO788 Thread Starter

I check My Computer and i dont see my E: drive. I checked my BIOS (i think) and i went into system information -> components -> CD-ROM and it was empty. I also checked HK something local and i found the right file some long code like 4Dxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxx and i didnt see anything lower filter or upper filter.
    I have a Dell 1735 studio laptop running windows 7

heres what happened. I got an ISO of rollercoaster tycoon which i burned onto a disc on my upstarts computer (which runs XP) and i installed fine on that computer and played the game and everything was all good. I take the CD-ROM that i burned with rollercoaster tycoon and I slip it into my aforementioned laptop. some rollercoaster tycoon thing comes up, I click install and think everything is fine. When i click the .exe file to play the game, it asks me for my E: drive. i check my computer and there is no E: drive. I also cannot eject my disk now because the computer isnt detecting an optical drive, let alone a CD to eject. I also have no cd tray on my laptop, the disc just slides in and im pretty sure theres no manual eject button. I looked.

Any Help? I tried to look a bunch of stuff online. I even did one thing relating to disabling integrity checks via the command window? i dont really know what else to do. restarting and system restores didn't work.

I would appreciate any help. Thank You!

2. Sponsor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Since your problem started due to software piracy, some would say that you got what you deserved.

The drive may be damaged. Is there anything wrong in Device Manager at all? Have you rebooted the machine? How do you usually open the tray?

Usually, there is a tiny hole on the faceplate that you can use to open the tray. Use a paperclip. Go in perfectly straight.

Buy the game instead of stealing it.

4. DINAMO788

DINAMO788 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. I had RC tycoon and used to play it a lot so when my friend said he started playing it again, he sent me an ISO file and it said i needed it on a disc to play.The drive worked before (albiet seldom used). I open it by pressing a soft touch key (its on top above my keyboard, near my other media button that lights up when i touch it). I used it to eject the CD that was in there before i put in this new disc. When i try the eject key now, the laptop kinda freezes for 10 seconds then goes back to normal. it doesnt make sound so i dont think any hardware is working.

I went into my device manager ->"disk" drives and it shows WDC something ATA device. I checked the properties and it says its working normally. i restarted the computer and even did a system restore but no luck.
    Again, there is no disc tray, the CD just slides in. I'm not sure exactly what the faceplate is but i checked around the CD slide in space and on the bottom of the laptop and didnt see any pinsized holes :(.

I dont think anything usually happened during the installation. I installed it the same way that I did on my upstairs computer the first time and everything was fine. I don't know why my computer would suddenly not recognize any E: drive...

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

So there are no problems in Device Manager at all, no hardware not recognized, and nothing listed under "Other"?

6. DINAMO788

DINAMO788 Thread Starter

I am not extremely technical so maybe I am missing something. I dont see an "Other" section in my Device Manager. The only thing relevant that I see is under Disk Drives, the only item there is some kind of WDC blahblah ATA device and when i check it's properties, under device status, it says that it is working properly.

Is there anything in particular that you would like for me to check and give you an answer on?

Also, when i go into All Programs -> accessories -> System Tools -> System Information. Under system summary -> Components -> CD-ROM, there is nothing. As in, when i click on CD-ROM, the item field is empty, aka there is no item.

Thanks again, Elvandil.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, as slimy as it may be thought to be, some game companies are known to damage machines on purpose when someone tries to steal their software. Some install rootkits that take control of the machine and have unforeseen consequences.

I have a tool that removes at least one of those drivers. Unzip it, run it, and reboot. Cross your fingers. If you can't get rid of that driver, you will need to delete the partitions on your machine and reinstall Windows, back to the way it was when you bought it.

I have a tool that may help. Download it, unzip it, run it, and then reboot.

HopefulTool

8. DINAMO788

DINAMO788 Thread Starter

Delete the partition and reinstall windows, whoa. I dont even know where my discs are...
    I know some companies do that sort of thing, but then how come my friend has no problem and my upstairs computer isn't having these sorts of problems. i'll try this tool and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Edit: i ran the tool and it said, "No installed protection drivers found to update."

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's just a matter of time for the other machines. It is already possible that information has been sent out over the internet from those machines in an effort to identify pirates.

At least for StarForce protections, they decided that for now they would just disable all SCSI drives on a system. If your drive is a SATA, it was identified as an SCSI.

10. DINAMO788

DINAMO788 Thread Starter

well i restarted and no change.
    hmm, im not too sure what an SCSI or a SATA drive is but in device manager, i think my disk drive was only labeled a "ATA".

I just checked my upstairs computer and it is fine. This doesn't feel like its an attack on pirates from the software. It seems like the fact that this old game was installed on Windows 7, there are some kind of malfunction or glitching with on windows 7 that caused this issue.

Maybe this is just an optical disc driver issue or something?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

I doubt it. I am pretty sure that the game is responsible. Many companies are doing this now. Software piracy is a serious crime and they are doing whatever they can to reign it in since they lose a lot of money from this. Large fines and jail time are getting more common.

I'll look around for other cleaners, but you should start thnking about reinstalling Windows.

SecureROM also installs rootkits on the machines that try to play their games. It is very difficult to remove. It installs a service (which you may find under Services, or it may appear only in the registry), and a driver (that is invisible). The registry key is also hidden so you can't delete it in Windows. But it can be found with one tool. Be aware that once this has been removed, no SecureROM games can ever be played on the machine again until Windows is reinstalled. You may notice an unknown process accessing the internet to send out location information.

SecureROM Service Removal Help

12. DINAMO788

DINAMO788 Thread Starter

hmm. I also tried to go on dell's website and try to install some drivers but its either saying that I don't have administrative privledges (I'm running as an administrator) and the other drivers don't seem relevant.
    Also, Rollercoaster Tycoon was released in 1999 so i'm not sure if they have such advanced pirate attacking measures.

If a full reformat is my only option then I guess i'm just going to go without an optical drive, but I really hope there is some other way around it.

Thanks again for all the tries, Elvandil.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

SafeDisc 4 also disables drives, but no one has found a way to remove it yet that I know of.

Drivers will not help. No drivers are needed for optical drives. A new drive will also be disabled.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm afraid I'll have to close this thread. Ordinarily, I would send you for help removing the infection. But no matter how our malware people feel about rootkits (and there may even be a disclaimer in the game's paperwork warning of this installation), they are not going to help anyone defeat anti-piracy measures and thus show others how to do it. That would not only be unethical, but would open us up to legal challenges.

I'd suggest that you remove everything you have on that drive and restore Windows to the way it was when you bought it if you have no backup of your system (which you should have, anyway, since hard drives all fail and take everything with them).

You should also be aware as you post on the internet that the authorities and game makers also have internet access. Most sites (including this one) log your IP address and that information can be supplied to law enforcement. Your ISP's logs of who had that IP at what time of day will allow them to find you.

Though they almost certainly have better things to do, you should be aware that you publicly admitted committing a crime and then left a trail to follow right to your house.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/989300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice