1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved No option to expand files in Outlook 2010

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ozziebeanie, Feb 11, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie Thread Starter

First Name:
    Serena
    Hi All

I have a problem with my email, (Outlook 2010) when I receive an email and I want to save it to one of the additional folders attached to my in box, I can pick the folder and it saves it there, no problem there

The problem is that my Inbox does not have a down arrow to expand, so I cannot see any of the folders I have previously added, so cannot view the email I saved.

Folders are there and where added quite some time ago (I have previously been able to see the folders they used to be there but since my main computer crashed (as in died) and I started using another computer I have had problems with this version of office)

Yes it’s legal version of Office and I have also made sure via calling Microsoft that it was ok to transfer to another computer.

I also had a problem with updating the signature but I found a solution to that, and a pixilated view (not solved yet but mentioning in case all related) any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Serena

no expand arrow.JPG

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Post a screen shot of the folders area?

3. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    mmm thought i did i uploaded the file, lets try again

Attached Files:

4. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    picture above shows no down arrow to show other folders, you are supposed to be able to expand it but as i said when i request to move an email to a folder when it askes which folder it shows them all in the box as shown in attached picture, thanks for answering DaveA

Attached Files:

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You talk about transfer... did you transfer the PST file?

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    It appears to me that you have this set up using IMAP type of Outlook data file.
    Can you confirm that it is imap and not POP?

7. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Hi DaveA

Yes IMAP not POP and yes same .pst file, as I put drive from previous computer into this one. (Just had to add a couple of extra drives, as computer died not the drive)

Have had problems with my email since having to change computer, have also had the drive in another (different) computer/laptop and same thing happens.

The only thing I have not done is put another drive in and started from scratch, of which I did with original computer 6 months ago

I have also done a repair on the program and also re-installed Office

Sorry should have added that to my original post, I am using windows 7 on this drive, I have no problem saving an email to these folders but because I cannot see them when looking at inbox folder I cannot access them.

Only other difference is that I have changed provider, but problem was there before and after switching providers, I was no longer under contract and my daughter moved down here and she was under contract so we changed to her provider.

I am sending and receiving email with no problem

Thanks for answering

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    If you have it set up as IMAP then you are NOT using a PST file, but a OST file the same name as your email address.
    If you are using the IMAP, the folders are controlled on the server of your mail provider.
    Have you gone to their web site and logged into your email account there and see if these folder do reside there.

I do NOT use IMAP, hopefully some will chime that does and they may be of more help.

9. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Thanks DaveA, I will look at that never thought of that, I will mark it as solved, I think it was changed to IMAP when changed over to NBN last time, thanks for your time

10. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Thanks DaveA, I have changed settings to POP3 and it downloaded 65+mb of emails, even though the down arrow is still not there if I click to the left of the in box it now expands, I just have to pretend it’s there, much appreciate your time

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice