Solved No permission despite permitted; device not shown in Network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chueh

I have posted this same thread on various networking/computer forums, yet I have not gotten this problem resolved!!!! Please HELP!

My 1st desktop "desktop-kba" uses Windows 10, and it has no problem sharing files with my MacBook or vice versa (no issue; everything works perfectly between desktop1+MacBook. 2 pictures below show everything being working properly).
jadecowUser.png

jadecowAftUser.png

My 2nd desktop "desktop-ja7" uses Windows 10 Pro. Although file sharing is all on, files cannot be shared to any devices.

Both 1st desktop and MacBook have 2nd desktop listed under NETWORK, but cannot access for "User" folder (only Public available)
Network.png

PianoNetwork.png

PianoPublic.png

I have tried fixing this 2nd desktop for networking for a while, but nothing is successful. Mainly, neither the 1st desktop nor the MacBook are shown under 2nd desktop's "desktop-ja7" NETWORK.

A. I've checked "network discovery under settings. Everything is on.
B. network discovery Defender is on under firewall recovery settings
C. I've checked the "network ID"
D. I've changed Function Discovery Resource Publication service from Manual to Automatic (Delayed Start)
E. I've tried direct access the shares by typing IP address, but nothing happened.
F. Opened "Services.msc" and checked the following already:
  • Function Discovery Provider Host (FDPHost)
  • Function Discovery Resource Publication (FDResPub)
  • Network Connections (NetMan)
  • UPnP Device Host (UPnPHost)
  • Peer Name Resolution Protocol (PNRPSvc)
  • Peer Networking Grouping (P2PSvc)
  • Peer Networking Identity Manager (P2PIMSvc)
All the above I have done did not solve the problems.

Please advise; thanks

Go to Control Panel > Program & Features > Turn Windows Features on or off > checkmark SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing System.

Note this enables the old vulnerable protocol SMB v1. The WanaCry ransomware virus spread using this now deprecated protocol. It encrypted peoples files and asked for a ransom to decrypt them. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Last edited:

chueh

thank you lunarlander. Actually, I had this already checked as well

I see from the screen shots you were using Guest for ja7, can you use a real account?

chueh

I wanted to use a real account, but I can never use it. That's why I keep posting this problem on various forums, for I cannot share files.

chueh

It can only show GUEST. I cannot access USER at all. Thats' why I posted this thread here

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Until you login to an account the is NOT Guest, that is all you will be able to access.
Are you telling us that there is only Guest accounts on this machine?

chueh

I own this computer and login as administrator account, which is the only account I created. I could get to the desktop for everything, except other computers in the network cannot access to it but GUEST

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you mean that you have an account that is of the Administrator group, and NOT the builtin "Administrator", then you should have permissions to do MOST actions.

When in this admin group account, what error message do you get when you try to access the other machines?
Also have you defined an share on the other machines?

chueh

There is no error message at all. The name of the computer which can never be accessed is simply NOT showed under NETWORK of other devices.

I have already checked file sharing for everything, as well as the discovery.... it's useless!

I also checked the network NAMES...... still no use

Hi Chueh
What I put in Blue text you can either type or copy and paste. What I put in Red is what you do
eg Enter means press the enter key
Can we try somethings first. On both windows 10 machines can you click on start >CMD Enter
When the command prompt opens type in ipconfig /all Enter Look for the IPv4 address.
Then still at the command prompt Ping
and the other windows IPv4 address.
Example: one computer IPv4 Address is 192.168.0.10 and the second computer address is 192.168.0.11
Then from computer one.
Ping 192.168.0.11 Enter.
Do you get a reply or do you get a time out?
Then do the same from computer two.
Example
Ping 192.168.0.10 Enter
You can then close the command windows.
Click on start
System Enter
Are both computers in the same Workgroup ?

Cheers
Peteroz

chueh

Peteroz,
Thank you so much for your kindness to write me such a clear instruction.

I did Command CMD Ping for both computers.

1. I did have replies when using jad computer (2nd computer) for getting kba computer (1st computer) address
2. But TIME OUT when using kba computer(1st) to get jad (2nd) computer address.

ok does jad computer log in with a password for the user?
if no go to control panel > user accounts add a password.
Try to ping again.
The way I see things we try and get both windows computers to share. Once they can share we then look at
getting the Mac to share.
1 step at a time is the longer but normally the easiest way

Also in control panel can you open System and check that both Win 10 computers are in the same workgroup
The windows default on setup is workgroup BUT worth checking.
Also when in Control panel Click on Network and Sharing Center > Change Advanced sharing settings
and under all networks check they are both the same Remember KBA is the good one so change nothing in that.
I know you have checked these settings before. But when rattled and trying to get something to work
across different systems it is easy to miss something.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online