1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No permission to use this network resource for file sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by babymeena, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hi, everyone. I have connected my laptop & desktop via wireless router to share internet connection and files. I want to burn to DVD what I've saved on my desktop to give it some much needed room since my desktop doesn't have a dvd burner. I have shared internet connection however I can't get the file share to work. I can see the my desktop drive I specified to share from my laptop under My network places->view workgroup computer. When I click on the desktop drive being shared, this message appears: \\Home=yb2p...is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."
    What the heck does that mean? Thanks for any info.

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

You need the two machines to have the same username and password. And the XP firewall needs to allow the connection, but it sounds like you're already past that particular hurdle.

3. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hello, 5mi11er. My computers didn't have the same username (if what you mean by username is the one I log into when the computer boots) so I changed my laptop user name to same as desktop. Now it doesn't even show my desktop computer under 'view workgroup computer'. It says "..net(name of my network) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgrup is not currently available."
    It's sooo confusing. :(
    Should I change my laptop username back?

4. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Are the two machines in the same workgroup? They need to be.

5. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Yes, they are. I was able to see my desktop drive which probably means that two computer could communicate. When I created workgroup I made sure they had same name for both computers. Thanks for corresponding.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Changing the displayed name in XP is not the same as creating a user ID with the same name.

You can test this for yourself.

1. Start / Run / cmd
    2. Note the directory you are in. This is the user ID
    3. Change the displayed name
    4. Log off and back on again
    5. Repeat steps #1 and #2.

The location is the same because the user ID is the same

You need to create the same accounts from scratch on each computer that have the same name and password. Also, the default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

7. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hi, Bob. You're right! What I thought my username was not my username. How do I go about changing that? I couldn't change it in the cmd window. Thanks.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You need to create a new user account that matches the one on the other computer.

To avoid all that type of confusion I generally don't like to use the control panel.

Right click on My Computer
    Manage
    Local Users and Groups
    Right click on Users and create a new one.

Not any faster or easier but avoids the confusion.

9. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hello, Bob. When I go down the list of steps you provided, I get no "local users and groups" selection. I'm using xp home. Maybe it's different from xp pro (if that's what you're using)?
    When I go to user accounts under control panel, I see three accounts. "Me","Guest", and "ASP.NET Machine A...". I didn't create either Guest or ASP.NET accounts. ASP.NET account in particular worries me since it looks to me like someone created it somehow. But then again I'm a complete newbie and don't know what it's supposed to be. I know I'm going to have to change the spelling of "Me" to "me" since that's how desktop is spelled. But how do I switch over to "me" account from my current username "End User" since it doesn't even show up on user accounts section? I tried the usual switch user under log off but the cmd still shows "end user". Is it possible for me to delete all other users except "me" to avoid confusion? Thanks for any help.

10. Julie Barker

Julie Barker

Then from the Control Panel, just create the same user accounts on both computers. Again, don't rename them to match since that isn't the same thing.

11. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hello, Julie. I created the same user accts on both computers. I even created user acct on each computers to match the acct I'm used to using on each computers. Currently I have three accounts with same names on each computers. I always make sure I'm on the acct I think I'm on by doing run->cmd. I set up network with the network wizard on all accts. I do see the little hand thing on the folders I'm sharing. When I go to "my network places" I see only thier own folders. When i click on view workgroup computers it says I don't have access. I can't figure out what's making this process so hard. I know I can share internet connection. Just can't share files. ARRGHHH...

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Although likely are lot of these are already ok, just to start from the beginning, the basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting works fine so there is no need to change that either.

13. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hello, Bob. I went through your list and did everthing. I first changed the ip address from automatic to static. Then I put exact same ip at first then changed the last field to be different from others since that's what I think you mean by ip scheme. I have same subnet mask, etc. I tried to ping the other computer by entering ip address. It times out three times then flashes some writing then dialog window shuts down so quick I can't read anything. BUT I still can't ping by computer name even though I'm sure I have correct computer names. Says something like host couldn't be found. This message also flashes so quick it's hard to read. I have same workgroup name. Tried turning off Zone alarm security suite to no avail. I doubt that ZA is the problem since I was able to connect to internet with it on.
    Now I have another problem. Laptop can't even share internet access! It first started by saying "acquiring network address" forever without connecting then now it shows I'm connected but I still can't access any websites. When I try to disconnect and connect back, it says "connected" then available network window says "no network in range" right away. I'm frustrated to death with this network thing. Could you please please help? I posted this "connected" problem at another thread:
    http://forums.techguy.org/t280891.html Thanks for helping me out on this!

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Accessing the Internet and your LAN are completely different and this would not be the first time a 3rd party firewall was part of the problem. Until you get things working, please see #6.

If you have entered all the IP address information manually (again until you get everything working), why is any computer trying getting an error "acquiring network address".

How are you sharing the Internet connection. All this information should have been provided earlier to get a resolution quicker. The less we know about up front, the less we have to offer.

15. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hi, Bob. My desktop is connected to router via ethernet cable & my laptop is connected wirelessly (well, trying to). I changed the preferred DNS server to router address and left the alternate DNS server as it is (66.51.....) When I turn my laptop on it still says I'm connected to wireless network but the internet still doesn't work and file sharing still not available. Then I go to disconnect then connect again and see "acquiring network address" then "connected" then "no available wireless network". I don't know what is going on... =( I will uninstall zone alarm to see if that solves the problem. Thank you so much for your continued support.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/278889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice