1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No picture on my moniter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by youstollmyname, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. youstollmyname

youstollmyname Thread Starter

My monitor does not seem to be receiving from my cpu, the only thing it displays is a self test saying that the monitor is working properly that I need to check my power cords. I have check my cords they are connected very good I have also tried to reset my video card but it is not the kind you can remove. I am at a loss and am open for all suggestions.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi youstollmyname, welcome to TSG.

Has your monitor worked in the past? You are turning the monitor on first, then the computer, correct?

If so, is there another computer you can test the monitor on?

Also, disconnect the power cords and the monitor cable, then reconnect them.

3. youstollmyname

I have tested the monter it works I think the problem is with the cpu because I have tried another moniter and still no display. Also I am pretty sure that it is not the cord or the other moniter would have done some thing because it was a different cord, I am so frustrated with it not working so I appreciate all sugestions so if you have any more I will be more than willing to try them.

4. ~Candy~

Ok, what about testing another monitor? Is that an option?

Also, have you checked the power supply connections to the motherboard, try reseating the cpu and ram?

Does the bootup procedure continue? Do you get beep codes? Hard drive spins, floppy drive light comes on and goes out?

5. youstollmyname

Do you mean the power cord? if not give me instructions on how to check the power to the mother bord and how to reset the cpu and ram. I know that there is a batter about 1 inch in diameter in side the computer and I have removed it and put it back, and still nothing.

No I have listened for the startup sequence and it is not their now, also when I turn the cpu on of course the power light is first then the next light to come on is to the cd drive, but the light to the 3 1/2 drive never comes on. I have taken the back of and there are plugs and they are both secure. I have even tried unplugging the power cord ( the one from the fan box not the long flat one) and plugging it back in but the light still does not come on.

Could this be my problem, and how can I fix it, The computer has been working fine until I moved it from my b-room to the l-room, I even tried moving it back to the b-room and it still wont work. I did not bump it shack it or drop it so I dont get why it all of a sudden dont work.

Please keep the suggestions coming, I am all out.

6. ~Candy~

Ah, so the computer was moved....sometimes, that's enough to loosen things.....you never know......there's a power connector that runs from the power supply (inside) to the motherboard. You need to press it to the motherboard to be sure it's secure. Also, follow all the power leads from the power supply to the hard drive, floppy drive, cdrom, etc to be sure they are securely attached to their appropriate devices.

What's the 'long flat one' that you are speaking of? Just for fun, whatever it is, unplug it and plug it back in as well. Also take a look to be sure the fan ontop of the cpu is spinning. For right now, just press on the cpu (not really hard) just to be sure it isn't moving, and on the ram chips, make sure they are secure in their slots. There should be some clips on each side, make sure they are still securely closed.

7. youstollmyname

Thank you

I will try all of this and get back with you tommorrow. Hopefully with good news.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice