1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No picture on the monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carren23, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carren23

carren23 Thread Starter

Ok my computer is on and the monitor is on but there is no connection between the two. What isn't working so that the monitor and computer aren't working together? Its a desk top emachines I bought in 2003. runs windows 98 I believe. The emachines monitor went out on me not even a year after I bought it. I bought a used monitor from a friend. Its a gateway. Sorry that's all I got for now. I bought a new computer and monitor since this has happened.

2. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Welcome to the TSG forums...

When the monitor isn't showing anything, it is very difficult to tell if the computer is actually WORKING, or only sitting with the fans making noise, due to some problem you can't see, because the monitor isn't working... If the computer IS working, you should be able to see a (small) light flashing on the front of the system; the Hard Drive Activity Light flashes to indicate that the hard drive is busy working during bootup...

OK, let's figure that the hard drive IS working, and a little light IS flashing on the front of the computer while the system boots up... The MOST likely problem is that the videocard inside the computer has come loose, and is no longer making good contact in the slot where it is installed on the motherboard. You MIGHT be able to resolve this by removing the cover from the computer, and trying to reseat the videocard. You will recognize it because it is the card the monitor is plugged into...

Do NOT remove the cover while the system is running; SHUT DOWN and UNPLUG THE COMPUTER before you work on it. Failure to do this can mean serious problems for you, and damage to your system...

It is ALSO possible that something else has come loose inside the computer, though most times, you should hear a series of "beeps" when that happens. However, if your system does NOT have an internal speaker, you won't hear any beeps...

Truth be told, there are a MULTITUDE of reasons why you could be having this problem; without more information... Does the hard drive activity light flash when you first try to boot the system? Do you hear any fans running? Do you hear or see ANYTHING to indicate that the computer is working at all?

ANOTHER problem could be that the monitor itself is defective, or that the monitor cable is defective, OR, the cable could have a bent pin within the little connector that attaches the monitor to the computer / videocard...

The videocard might have failed; if there is no actual videocard installed in the system, the onboard videochip might have failed...

In light of all that, your best bet might be to contact someone more knowledgeable about computer repair, and see if they can personally assist you in troubleshooting this issue... Please post any more information you can provide; you could begin by answering my questions, to help me with more details, as I try to help you find the problem...

Good luck; let's put our heads together and try to figure this out...

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Try the old monitor on another pc to decide if it is the problem. Any lights and fans running when you push power button? it might boot and you hear sounds? If yes then it is probably video card. If no lights and fans, emachine is known for blowing power supplies which by itself is an inexpensive repair, except they use such crap for psu, most of the time when they blow they take the board and cpu with them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice