1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No post Asus mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coffee2k3, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coffee2k3

coffee2k3 Thread Starter

I am sorry if it was posted before, but I couldn't find anything regarding this.
    My system spec:
    Intel P4 3 Ghz HT L775,
    Asus P5GDC Deluxe
    2 x 512 DDR2 RAM
    Nvidia XFX PCIe video.

My system had been hanging up once or twice every day until last week. The monitor went black and the PC 'froze' but the lights, fans were still on. I thought the problem would be a. PS (I had a 300W PS) or b. overheating.
    I invested in a new PS 450W as I got something plugged in in every possible socket :) and a CPU watercooling system.

I installed the cooler but I kept having CPU temperature in between 50-80 C :eek: I tried every possible way to lower the temperature but with no success. The mobo temperature was on a steady 35-40 C. Since the CPU temperature was 80 C when I opened a game or DVD app, I decided to get rid of the watercoolin and put the HS back in with some improved ventilation in case. Everything booted up ok but then went bang! My system won't boot and there is NO POST. Not a beep.
    The Asus mobo's green led comes on, but no response. I stripped the system down, but everything the same. Changed video card, cleared cmos etc without success.

I am really stuck atm as I wouldn't know if a possibly faulty CPU / PS wrecked my motherboard. Oh yeah, I changed the proc as well but the same thing happened. I am afraid testing another mobo in case it'll be wrecked again. What do you think about that? Can a CPU wreck a mobo? Or a PS?

I really did hope that clearing cmos would help but didn't :( I read it somewhere on these forums to unplug ATX from mobo then remove batteries and leave jumper on for a good while to clear the capacitors... I might give it a try overnight :) and see what happens.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks for reading this.

2. coffee2k3

coffee2k3 Thread Starter

I forgot to add,

When I say NO POST, I mean there are no fans going or anything. When I remove the ATX12V (4 pins), the fans, hd's etc come alive but still no post.

Thanks.

3. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

You probably got a bad CPU - 50 to 80C with water cooling? Dude that's bad!

4. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

We need to talk about your CPU and how you mounted your heatsink....like, did you use the factory pad, did you use Artic Silver, how much did you put on, etc. etc......?????? You really need to do some exploration before you prounouce the CPU or motherboard gone. We also need to talk about the case cooling, what fans, what direction, where placed. Oh, while asking, is your heatsink fan blowing DOWN as it should be, or is it blowing up?????

When we get the answers to the above, I will go through the Nuclear option with you (my name for it) and we will do our best to help you troubleshoot this problem and get you going. I just don't believe your problem presently is a blown CPU or bad motherboard, but that is my personal opinion.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The temp with p4 is not all that important; they will throttle down to keep from overheating. I even have a video of a p4 running without any hsf at all. It runs slow, however it keeps running. Now on to the problem.

Some things to try.
    Remove the power cord and hit the on button once or twice. This will fully discharge the ps capacitors. Now move the clear cmos [Asus calls this RTC] jumper to clear for a min or so. Replace the cord and reset the jumper. Try for a post.

If that does not work, I would pull the board from the case and try for a post with just the video card and one memory chip installed. Place the board on the box it came in; do not use the AS bag. Connect your ps to the board. Connect the monitor to the video card. Now use a small screwdriver to jump the power switch pins on the board and see if it will post now. If it does not post like this, you will need to swap parts with known good unit; ie memory, ps, cpu.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

While inside the case installing and uninstalling the water cooling, you may have either damaged the board or loosened a connection. Have you rechecked all connections inside?

7. coffee2k3

coffee2k3 Thread Starter

Yeah that's what I think too :( Would a faulty CPU damage motherboard?

Clearing cmos didn't work, removed battery, left jumper on for ages removed ATX power while doing etc. I will try and pull out everything tomorrow or early morning to see if it posts stripped down - pulled out changing parts.

I paid extra attention installing the water cooler. I got a 'bracket' for installing the CPU cooler on the 775 socket, which desires a lot of improvement imo. There was an underlay to go within the bracket and the back side of the mobo, but I wouldn't put my life on that this underlay wouldn't get poked tru by some pointy stuff there :confused: Anyway, it was working for a while (poorly) til I mucked up with the change. I use the factory supplied heatsink for the Intle P4, and as far as I see it blows up (?).
    As I said I will pull out the mobo tomorrow and will reply here about the result.. I am very interested in your nuclear project, I hope it's not the same I was thinking to bloody nuke it. :)

Thanks very much for the replies so far, deffo let you know what's happening , thanks again guys.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did something actually go bang? If so then you blew something up. Try removing any extra stuff like drives, PCI cards, and the such that are not required to get a basic POST.

As for the CPU throttling down and not doing any damage, I have seen half a dozen systems lockup or reboot with a broken CPU bracket so the throttling doesn't always work. If you don't believe me try it with a few systems/processors.

9. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

First of all, change that fan so it blows DOWN, because blowing up won't do you any good with this unit.

Second, the nuclear option as I called it was basically spelled out by crjdriver in the good advice he gave you. I do it slightly different in the units we build, but his advice is fine. Please read all before starting with this project. Here is what I recommend:

1) Take the motherboard out of the case and place it on a piece of cardboard or non-conductive surface.

2) Remove the CPU, Heatsink, and fan. Be sure to clean off all the gunk that is between the heatsink and CPU with some 99% Isopropol alcohol.

3) Reinstall the CPU making sure that you get it clear down in the socket. THROW AWAY THAT FACTORY PAD if one was used. Put only Artic Silver back between the Heatsink and CPU and follow these directions:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

4) Make sure your heatsink fan is blowing DOWN and not up. Reconnect the Heatsink fan to the CPU, paying close attention to the bracket, it must be clamped down tightly.

5) Connect only the following items: Motherboard, CPU, Heatsink, Heatsink Fan (be sure it is hooked up to the motherboard), one stick of ram in Dimm 0 or 1 (whichever is the first one), The keyboard, the video card, the ATX connector, the 12v square molex plug into the motherboard (some don't use this, but most newer ones do), and the On/Off switch connected. (If you get nothing, then try the screwdriver trick of shorting across those two pins).

6) If it does not come on, then remove the video card, try it, and if it does not come on, remove the memory and see what it does.

7) On the converse, if it works, then start adding things like the hard drive, etc, etc....you get the picture.

When you get this far, let one of us know and maybe we can guide you further.

Addendum: If you have the fan blowing the right direction, it might be wise to try it as stated above, before you remove and reinstall the CPU. That way, you might not have to do this step, although if you have that factory pad and it were mine, I would do that anyway to get rid of the pad.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/362044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice