1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No POST Beep, No display, HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ruffnredy, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

My wife has a T1600 eMachine, Athlon processor. It powers up, the indicator light comes on yellow, the fans work but nothing else. No POST beep, nothing on the monitor at all. Any ideas on where to start?

2. Sponsor

3. Ciberblade

Ciberblade Retired Moderator

Check all the connectors on the MoBo....specifically the power connector. Look to see if something is shorting the board to the case.

Was this system up and running before this happened...or is it a re-build?

4. Rockster2U

Rockster2U

You didn't say whether this is a relatively new phenomina or give any history leading up to this condition which handicaps those who may be able to help you resolve this. However, in a situation like this, it would be standard procedure to clear CMOS and reset your BIOS. Lets take this one step at a time. Your mobo manual should give you the location of your CMOS jumpers but absent a manual, you'll need to locate a 3 pin jumper in close proximatey to your battery. It should be labeled and will be readable with a good magnifying glass or an extra helping of carrots for dinner. Disconnect the power cord from your computer. Open the case and disconnect the ATX power header (20 or 24 pins) from the motherboard. Now move the jumper from pins 1&2 and place it on 2&3 and wait about 30 seconds. Put it back on 1&2 and reconnect the ATX power header. Plug your machine back in and tap the delete key to enter BIOS Setup. (depending on your mobo, could be F2 or something else but del is most common) This should bring you to the BIOS menu. If confused or in over your head, set it to default setup and F10 out to save settings. That should get you booted if you're lucky enough to have a simple problem.

Give us some more background and you'll get a more pertinent non generic response. Oh, and by the way - if you have a jumperless mobo, pull the battery and go to bed. Tackle this again in the morning by reconnecting the battery and then powering back up and heading into your BIOS.

;)

edit: hehehe ..... I like that "Junior" member stuff (y)

5. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

Sorry, I should have mentioned it was working fine. It was shut down and now nothing. It was a new machine, apx. 2 yrs old. As far as I know there were no problems up till now. My wife has it at work & other people use it. It has Win XP. I took out the battery, jumped the CMOS; same thing. I put in a POST card, all the indicator led's lit, stayed lit. The POST card display stayed at 00. It never advanced thru POST.

6. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

I did all you suggested, cannot access the BIOS. It powers on but does not proceed thru POST. No beeps.

7. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

I should also mention it was filthy inside when I opened it.

8. Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Given the added information, should we assume that you cleaned it or just buttoned it back up as is? Its already been suggested that you reconfirm all cards are properly seated and cables rechecked for connection - this is a good starting point for sure. Usually, my first two "look/see" stops would be memory and video card but this probably has on-board video which eliminates one of the two, so that leaves pulling the memory, cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser followed by alcohol and then reseating the memory stick(s). Now, try booting. Somehow, I'm not real confident thats going to do the trick but please check it out anyway.

Now for my gut - in as much as this is an emachine, my speculative vote goes to the power supply. Its probably a 150, 180 or 200W and its that small one (Micro ATX) with three screws. If you have a power supply tester, check it out. Otherwise, pull it and see if you can beg, borrow or steal a similar PSU and try it.

Keep us posted (pun intended) re: your progress.

;)

9. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

I cleaned it, checked all connections. If the power supply was bad would the fans still work? I have a volt/ohm meter, what wires should I check?

10. Rockster2U

Rockster2U

I'll let some EE answer that for you - I use a simple little $15 power supply tester that one plugs the ATX header into. If all the lights come up green - good to go - if not - time to go. One can measure rail voltages pretty easily but thats not going to be good enough to answer your needs.

Hopefully there's a wizard around here, laughing at my ignorance, who can answer your question.

;)

11. Ciberblade

Ciberblade Retired Moderator

This may help with that:
    pin #'s:

[1]3.3v - oran
    [2]3.3v - oran
    [3]Gnd - blk
    [4]5v - red
    [5]Gnd - blk
    [6]5v - red
    [7]Gnd - blk
    [8]P_OK - Gray
    [9]5vSB - purp
    [10]12v - yell
    [11]3.3v - oran
    [12]-12v - blue
    [13]Gnd - blk
    [14]P_ON - green
    [15]Gnd - blk
    [16]Gnd - blk
    [17]Gnd - blk
    [18]-5v - white
    [19]5v - red
    [20]5v - red​

12. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

Everything checked out. Gray wire had .81V, green .1V & the ones that were supposed to have 12V had 11.7V, all the rest were at the voltage given.

13. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

All grounds were good.

14. Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Open the case and disconnect the ATX power header from the motherboard. Now move the CMOS jumper from pins 1&2 and place it on 2&3 and wait about 30 seconds. Put it back on 1&2 and reconnect the ATX power header. Plug your machine back in and tap the delete key to enter BIOS Setup. (depending on your mobo, could be F2 or something else but del is most common) This should bring you to the BIOS menu. If confused or in over your head, set it to default setup and F10 out to save settings.

;)

15. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

Did that with no results. I'm beginning to think a bad MOBO.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/360818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice