1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Post dell beeping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HardlyFocused, Nov 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HardlyFocused

HardlyFocused Thread Starter

Need some help. My computer isn't showing anything on start up. I thought it was RAM so I removed one by one trying to find the bad chip but beeping still persists. Usally 4 beebs a then a pause then 2 more. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  2. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello HardlyFocused,

Not come across a 4 + 2 beep pattern before I`m afraid :(

Can you post the model name or number of the Dell so we can do some research + as a quick can you remove all of the RAM then power up with no RAM in the computer to see if the beep pattern changes at all.

3. HardlyFocused

dell optiplex 755 tower. 4+2 beeping after all ram taken out. The "1" symbol is lit up at the front on the dell page it says its a ram issue but unless all my ram went bad at once i cant find the bad chip.

4. phillpower2

phillpower2

Because the beep pattern does not change when all of the RAM is removed it suggests that the problem is before the RAM is tested as part of the power on self test, in order of the highest failure rates first that would be the power supply then the motherboard.

It is possible for all RAM to become defective at the same time, a power surge for example can take out all hardware in one go.

Long shot but try removing the CMOS battery and along with the main power cord leave it out overnight, if that does not help, swapping in a known good power supply for testing purposes is about all that you can do before having a tech take a hands on look at it.

NB: Are there any other components connected to the motherboard such as an add on video, sound or network card.

5. HardlyFocused

there is a video card Nivida gt 740. I did try reseating it but it didnt work.

6. phillpower2

phillpower2

How long has the GT 740 card been in use on the computer and was the power supply upgraded to support it.

If only to check as much as we can, remove the GT 740 and RAM to see if the beep pattern changes, it shouldn't as the video is tested after the RAM has been, just wanting to be thorough.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice