1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No post, no beep

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KingElvis, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KingElvis

KingElvis Thread Starter

Hi all,

My first post....great place!

I got a friends comp coz he wanted me to format and do a fresh install. He had a bunch of programs that was conflicting with each other. Anyway when I got it I thought I would just try to uninstall some programs. Long story short it gave me a blue screen "stop error". When I tried to re-boot it doesn't post and it doesn't give me a beep. It just turns on for a few seconds and shuts off. Could the power supply be failing?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Sponsor

3. deuce

deuce

I would suspect the power suply, if not that the cpu or motherboard.........what wattage p/s is it? Do you have another one you could try in there to test it?

4. mhoydis

mhoydis

5. It Wasn't me

It Wasn't me

Hi KingElvis
    It also may be the way that you uninstalled the bunch of programs. I have crashed my computer doing a cleaning just like that. My problem was I went to program files and simply deleted programs without trying to use the uninstall the correct way. Once again I learned the hard way. But I did fix the problem I had when I had to reformat and do a reinstall of my OS. Not the best way to uninstall programs but it sure cleans up your computer.

6. mhoydis

mhoydis

Yeah, No, That ain't it. It doesn't POST. The condition of the OS is not relevant.

7. It Wasn't me

It Wasn't me

I realize that the condition of the OS was not "relevant" all my post referred to was the fact that you can indeed crash your computer by not deleting programs the correct way. A lot of people read these posts and learn from others experiences.

8. brite750

brite750

"It also may be the way that you uninstalled the bunch of programs." The word "It" we assumed meant the current problem that poster was having. You gota be careful around here, people can be touchy about the wording of responses.

9. sorrento5

sorrento5

you give us very scant information about the overall condition of the computer when you got it. Was it running normally. What programs did you delete. How did you delete them. Could you have lost connectivity to your HD for boot up? If it doesnt post or beep maybe your BIOS has been crashed and you may need to reload it. Hope this helps.

10. n2gun

n2gun

first thing i would try is to rest the bios. This can be done with the clear bios jumper for about a minute or remove the battery for about 15 minutes. If this does not do it, then unhook all the drives including the power and see if it will boot. If it does then start hooking things up one at a time til it won't boot. Then it may be that part is faulty.

11. KingElvis

KingElvis Thread Starter

deuce: PS is 300w, I hope it's not the cpu or mb

It Wasn't me: I was uninstalling programs through the windows add and remove programs. I also learned the hard way... :eek:

sorrento5: "Was it running normally."

Yes as far as normal goes, it had software conflicting with each other (system works 2003 and NAV 2004). Apart from that it was slow but normal.

"What programs did you delete. How did you delete them."

MS office, Roxio cd creator and Nero. Through the add and remove programs.

"Could you have lost connectivity to your HD for boot up? If it doesnt post or beep maybe your BIOS has been crashed and you may need to reload it. Hope this helps."

I just rechecked hd cable and they're all good will check bios and take n2gun's advice and reset the bios.

What would make the bios crash? I've never heard of a bios crashing.

Thanks to everybody that replied and I will post my results.

12. KingElvis

KingElvis Thread Starter

Well resetting the bios did the trick, everything is back to normal and the pc is on it's way to a fresh install.

Thank you everyone for the input.

I still don't understand how a bios could crash? If someone could quickly explain I would appreciate it.

13. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

i may not know what i'm talking about here- anyone feel free to push me aside if you know better than i do... but-

i think that sometimes the settings in the bios can become changed after certain major changes to the system. so when the computer is restarted, it kinda chokes on the changes- does the wrong thing and the bios settings become changed in error. sometimes these settings won't allow a system to start. resetting them will go back to the default or fail-safe settings- enabling it to start.
    it's hard to tell what settings could have been changed, i know that the same thing happens to me when i am overclocking a system- but i know what settings have been changed and why it won't start- i set the frequency and multiplier too high, so i need to back up a bit.
    hope that i helped to answer your question-

14. sorrento5

sorrento5

Hey KingElvis,

Glad to hear that you solved this problem with our help, thats what the forum is here for.

I would like to add another item to the causes that KerriAnne outlined in her reply.

Power supply voltage problems or voltage flutuations in your computer. Also, the bios can be sensitive to voltage fluctuations as when you overclock a computer. Once this happens there is little that you can do except to reload the bios.

I would be extrememly careful about doing this. I think that you are really lucky to have accomplished the reload of the bios without additional detailed techncal support. There are lots of stories out there from people who tried to reload their BIOs and somehow crashed it to the point where it couldnt be repaired and the mobo was fried and needed to be replaced.

Anyway, good luck.

Sorrento

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/202647