1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No POST, No BOOT, No BEEP, No Video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oldjoe, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldjoe

oldjoe Thread Starter

Packard Bell Force 2460 – Phoenix Technologies motherboard and bios – Windows 95

Failed to boot up the day after a perfectly normal shut-down.

A few times it tried to boot but went blank during the process.

One time I managed to get into setup. Setup was missing the drive specs so I filled in the data, saved and exited from setup and it booted OK. It then ran normally for 8 to 10 hours until I shut it down properly. The next day it would not boot again. No nothing….

I checked the power supply. All the voltage readings are correct.

The Lithium battery for the CMOS is fine (3.45 VDC)

When I apply power by switching on the power strip, the green light lights on the front panel, the hard drive spins up, and its head relays click into their initial settings, but nothing else happens. No beeps, no boot, no video.

Before I discard this relic, does anyone have any suggestions. I searched the web for info on the motherboard but can’t find any. If someone knows how to reset the bios to the defaults, please let me know.

Another thing I noticed is that it I power it up by pressing the power button on the front panel, the green light lights, and the amber “drive activity” light also lights up solid amber and remain on. This does not happen when power is applied by the power cord switch.

This leads me to think that the power button on the panel must have more that one function. Please tell me about this if you understand it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer…..

OldJoe

2. Sponsor

3. oldjoe

oldjoe Thread Starter

4. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Can of worms!

To reset the BIOS, if you can't find the jumper, whip the battery out and leave it out overnight.

But the no beeps leads to suggest something more serious. Namely the mobo.

The fact that it didn't autodetect the IDE suggests further issues too.

How old is it? Drying out capacitors.

5. oldjoe

oldjoe Thread Starter

Can't whip out battery, it is soldered onto the mobo.

There are 2 (2 contact) jumpers on 2 (3 pin) pads near the CMOS battery.

X-X O

X-X O

where X = jumpered
    O = open pin

What gets moved to where???

Old Joe

PS: Age is about 11-12 years (1995)

6. norton850

norton850

Really don't know with that MB, but usually the clear CMOS jumper is near the battery and by default is on pins 1 and 2 (the two XXs). Then with the power off the jumper would be moved to pins 2 and 3 (second X and the O) and then back to 1 and 2. That's assuming the jumper you are describing is the correct one. I hope that fixes your problem, but would also be surprised if it does. Good luck.

7. oldjoe

oldjoe Thread Starter

Thanks, Norton. I'll try that. Should I move both jumpers from 1-2 to 2-3 ?

And how long should it sit with 2-3 jumpered, before returning to 1-2 ?

Old Joe

8. norton850

norton850

Look at this link under the "motherboard jumper" section. http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/bios_password.htm
    The clear CMOS jumper usually has three pins. The plastic jumper sits across pins 1 and 2. To clear CMOS you would move the jumper to pins 2 and 3 for 20-30 seconds and then put it back to 1 and 2.

9. oldjoe

oldjoe Thread Starter

Well, I did the jumper thing, with power off, then put the jumpers back to where they were. I plugged it in, and saw the same symptoms... No change.

The next day, I decided to put the whole thing back together (to not lose the parts). I put the adaptor cards back in, and reconnected all the IDE cabling to the drives, etc. Then I powered it up, and surprisingly it started to boot up. I quickly hit F2, to go into setup, and it went into setup. Setup had all the correct data in place, including the correct time/date.
    Then, I hit the ESC key to exit setup, and it offered to boot into SAFEMODE, which I did.
    It booted successfully in SafeMode, but after 5 minutes or so, the screen just went to BLACK.

Half an hour later, I powered it up again, and again it booted normally, but again died after five or ten minutes.

Now I'm leaning toward a "noisy" power supply, or a flaky memory stick. Maybe tomorrow I'll remove some memory sticks, and see if that makes a difference

I wish I had an oscilloscope, I've used a VOM to check the power supply.

Any more hints would be appreciated!!!

OldJoe

10. norton850

norton850

As you know :D your computer has a few years on it so there are many "suspects" which could be causing the problem. Unless you have another system to try parts on or lots of extra parts hanging around there isn't much to do but trial and error. It can get expensive and often ends up being more than the old computer is worth. So consider that new systems which are far superior to what you have are pretty cheap these days. Also make sure that everything is nice and clean inside, all fans are working just on the remote chance that you are overheating.

11. oldjoe

oldjoe Thread Starter

OK... You were right, Mr. Norton, it is not cost effective to fix this thing, so I have given up on it. Hearing of my difficulties, my generous son gave me a Dell dimension 4100, with Windows ME operating system. So, I bought and installed an adapter card to connect with my local network and the internet. I spent the whole week's worth of spare time, and wound up with a better system than I had before.

That is, after removing 15 viruses, and 729 critical objects, & thousands of cookies, etc.
    Then installing AVG free anti-virus, Adaware, SpyBot, Belarc, & Hijack this.

It is finally clean, and running well.

ONE QUESTION: I can't figure out how to clean out TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES including CONTENT.IE5 and its 16 subdirectories. I've done this before on other systems, but I have always done it using DOS and DELTREE prior to Windows startup. I don't think it can be done safely with window running.

I am unable to get this machine to boot up into "DOS-only". It's front end menu has only 4 options: 1-Normal 2-Logged 3-Safemode 4-Step-by-Step. In addition, it will not permit me to create a bootable floppy.

So, I made a bootable floppy on a different computer (W98se), then tried to use it to start DOS on the Dell machine, but that didn't work either. It complained of wrong DOS version.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ???

Thanks,
    OldJoe

12. Mulderator

Mulderator

Go to IE, Tools, Internet Options, Delete Files (check the delete offline content).

13. Mulderator

Mulderator

Real-Time DOS was eliminated in ME and later OSs. See this:

http://www.mvps.org/dts/WinME_DOS/Win-ME.htm

for doing with a Win98 startup disc.

14. oldjoe

oldjoe Thread Starter

Thank you.. This helps... Need time to study...

OldJoe

15. oldjoe

oldjoe Thread Starter

Mulder,
    Your first suggestion worked sufficiently well. The TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>DELETE FILES got rid of all of the 16 subdirectories in CONTENT.IE5. The only remainder was about 6 MB in the index file. I can live with that...

Stupidly, I never thought to try this, because it never worked in previous versions.

Thanks again for the tips !

OldJoe

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/500619