Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
7K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  njmatteo 
#1 · (Edited)
Updated with system specs: Expert/Advanced Help needed.
Tried everything? The display was working, until the PW and CMOS were cleared.

I can't get it to post/boot so I cannot verify below, but I believe it to be accurate.

Dell Inspiron 660,64 bit, Intel Core i5, Intel B75 express chioset, with Windows 10, preinstalled with 8
1333/1600 Mhz DDR3
Dell monitor and HP monitors tried,
4 pin USB keyboard, and 4 pin mouse (MSI)
Memory = 2x SK hynix 4gb 1Rx8 PC3-12800U
2,4-pin usb 2.0 and 4, 9-pin USB 3.0
Video=integrated HD Graphics with 64-256mb Video memory (not sure)
HDD= SATA 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda 1000 GB

MB = E145B3 MS1003
MIB75R/MH_SG MLK MB
11068-1
48.3HD01.011
PS =dell B300NM-00, 300 WATTS
Service Tag= 6kcdny1

No post, no display after clearing CMOS password with jumper and CMOS battery. It powers up, power light on green and steady, keyboard lights up, cd/dvd drive spinning and all fans running, but no post, no video (it should have 1 post beep and then boot). I also tried booting from a recovery disk, repair disk but nothing. Nothing happens with any Fkeys on keyboard. 2 working displays tried. (1 hdmi, 1 regular blue) Still no display, no post. Also, unplugged and reseated all cables to mb and to hdd, and everything else.

This is what else I have checked:
1. 300 watt power supply, with voltmeter. 24 pins good, including the gray "power good". 4 pin mb power, good. CMOS battery 2.5v. Replaced wih new 3.1v.
2. disconnected everything from MB, except power, power on switch, processor fan and processor. Plugged in waited 5 minutes, and turned on. 5 beeps for CMOS battery failure. Power off, grounded self, (reinreinstalled battery). Restart. 2 beeps for memory (as expected)
3. Unplug, ground, reinstall 1 of 2GB memory stick. Plug in, turn on, no post.
4. turn off, Unplug, drain power, disconnect everything from mb. remove mb from case. Checked for loose wires, swollen/leaking transistors, bent pins. On a board, plugged in 24p cable power supply and 4 pin cable to MB. Jump started. all fans running, lights on power supply, but no post.
5. Removed heatsink fan and heatsink to visually check it out. Nothing looked odd.

So, if its the motherboard, why does it power up and give error beeps?

I need the Windows 8 IOS/product key from the motherboard, which is why I keep trying. If I just replace the mother board, I lose the operating system and the other preinstalled programs. Can anyone help? Please, only offer advise, if its something I havent already tried. Thank you in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
300 watt power supply, with voltmeter. 24 pins good, including the gray "power good". 4 pin mb power, good
This means nothing. The pw supply can show good pw under a no load condition and fail when actually trying to pw the system.
Removed heatsink fan and heatsink to visually check it out
Did you clean all parts and apply new thermal compound? When you remove a heatsink, you MUST replace the compound.

What was the reason for clearing cmos?
Did the system work prior to you clearing cmos?

#8 ·
This means nothing. The pw supply can show good pw under a no load condition and fail when actually trying to pw the system.

Did you clean all parts and apply new thermal compound? When you remove a heatsink, you MUST replace the compound.

What was the reason for clearing cmos?
Did the system work prior to you clearing cmos?
I had the power switched on by using paperclip in green and black block of power cable, and then checked the remaining blocks on the 24pun power cable. I suppose just the fan running is not much if a load.

I cleaned of dried compound that fell on the mother board after I removed the heatsink. Since both surfaces had compound on them, and didn't appear loose, I did not touch it. I read that if there was remaining compound and you were not replacing heatsink or any other component, it was not necessary to add more compound. I will buy compound tomorrow and clean and reapply to the surfaces,if you think it will make any difference. It didn't seem to have any effect on the behavior if the computer.

The reason for clearing the CMOS is to try to recover from the no post no boot error, as recommended by dell.

The system was on and at the login screen with a display connected to the HDMI, just prior to clearing windows password with the pswrdclr jumpers. That should have done nothing but clear the windows password.

#4 · (Edited)
Thank you for your time.
Regarding the PS. I had the green and black wires connected with a paperclip. This started the fan on the PS. Maybe that is not enough of a load to check the power...

Just today, I removed the heatsink, but it seem to have no bearing on the behavior of the computer.
After I removed the heatsink, I did clear a small area of dried heatsink that fell onto the MB. I did not touch either contact or replace heatsink, because I read that if both contact surfaces had remaining heatsink, it wasn't necessary, I don't know, that's just what I read. (since nothing else helped, I decided to check.). I will buy heatsink tomorrow and reapply it.

When I went to buy it, the computer was powered on and at a windows 10 login screen. The person I bought it from said he forgot the admin password so he could clear his personal info. So I cleared the password with the jumper. It was right after that, when we closed it up, plugged in the HDMI display that he had been using, and powered it up, there was no display, or no post. We couldn't get anything to happen, until I pulled the memory, which is when we got a memory error. From there, we tried one memory by it self, and then together.

I dont think I tried each memory alone and in each slot. I will try that.

But so far, none of what we tried produced post errors or display. Or any beeps. We tried a regular analog monitor and it did nothing and gave no post beep. However the keyboard shift lock, number lock, fans etc worked.

Since it was failing to post, i looked on the dell support site and it said that clearing CMOS could help recover from no post errors. So we cleared the CMOS with the jumper for a couple if minutes and then powered up, but nothing happened, except power light came on on power supply. Unplugged, pushed power button, Moved the jumper back to default, hooked up display, powered up and we got no post, no display. Since that failed we took out the CMOS battery for a few minutes, and then put it back. That's when we go the 5 beep error. I figured it just needed a new battery, so I took it home, bought a battery and that error went away. Oh, and between each attempt, I pushed the power button to drain out power.

I also left the CMOS battery out since last weekend, just to make sure there was no power in the MB.

I started working on this again yesterday, and this us where I am.

And, today, after I posted here, I put in an NVIDIA card, just to see if I could get a display from there. No, no post, no display...No luck.

What do you think?

#5 ·
Clearing cmos has no effect on a windows password. Clearing cmos on a desktop will remove a bios password NOT a windows login password. Clearing cmos on a laptop will not remove a bios password.

If you are using hdmi, use a standard monitor cable. See if you get a display that way. In any case, you did noting to remove any windows pw AND we cannot assist with passwords. This is in the rules section.

#6 ·
Clearing cmos has no effect on a windows password. Clearing cmos on a desktop will remove a bios password NOT a windows login password. Clearing cmos on a laptop will not remove a bios password.

If you are using hdmi, use a standard monitor cable. See if you get a display that way. In any case, you did noting to remove any windows pw AND we cannot assist with passwords. This is in the rules section.
I cleared the CMOS, to recover from a no post error, as recommend by dell support. I did not use CMOS to clear Windows password, but it does clear BIOS password if forgotten.. I did use a standard monitor with standard cable, with 2 confirmed working monitors, after the HDMI failed. I again tried 2 standard working monitors today, and they detected no input and went into standby.. I am not looking for assistant with password. I have no post error and no display. My computer does not complete post, so there is no display. This all happened immediately following the action of moving the pswd jumper to clear

#10 ·
The system was on and at the login screen with a display connected to the HDMI, just prior to clearing windows password with the pswrdclr jumpers. That should have done nothing but clear the windows password.
As I said, you do not clear a windows pw with any jumper. Using the clear cmos jumper just loads defaults into the bios. It does nothing for a windows pw. It will clear a bios pw not a windows pw.

#14 · (Edited)
When you clear cmos, you load defaults into the bios. If this system need some custom settings, that can cause a problem. Since it will not POST, I doubt that is the case.
Here is what I would do;
1 System OFF, open the case and reseat ALL connections ie atx, aux, ram, any add-in cards, etc. Be sure everything is seated
2 Clear cmos with the clear jumper for 10 seconds. Replace the jumper to the normal or keep position
3 Pw ON and see if you get a display. Be sure to use a standard monitor cable for testing

If you still do not get a POST display, you most likely damaged something while in the case. This can be caused ESD or just bumping into something.

Remember even if you do get the system to POST, you are still going to have the issue of the windows pw.

#15 ·
Most CMOS resets require you to disconnect power first, did you do that?

Reactions: njmatteo
#20 ·
Since it did not POST prior to you clearing cmos, I highly doubt clearing cmos had anything to do with the issue. You are going to have to start swapping parts to find the failed part ie pw supply, motherboard, ram, etc.

#22 ·
If I understand your posts correctly, this system did POST with a windows pw. You cleared cmos attempting to clear a windows pw [which is NOT going to happen] Now it will not POST.
Clearing cmos loads defaults and might affect boot order, etc however it is not going to stop the system from completing POST.
Either something just failed OR you damaged something while working in the case.

In any case, you will still have a windows pw issue [which we do not assist with]

#23 ·
yes, you understand my posts correctly, and I understand that my pw issue is not something you assist with. If the BIOS loaded defaults, wouldn't the display be a default, whatever way the boot order is in? I have tried to boot with a recovery/repair disk, and the drive sounds like it is working, no post, no display, then eventually stops spinning.

Soooo many people have this problem, with this motherboard, from what I have read...I really think it has to do with the way the video port is mounted on the motherboard, and unsupport underneath, like it is supported with rubber blocks in several other locations. There is no way to test the display ports, I am guessing...

Thanks for all of you suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.