1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No POST/No Display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheOKAY, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheOKAY

TheOKAY Thread Starter

When I plug in my graphics card, my ram, and my CPU and power the whole thing with my PSU I get nothing on my monitor but I do get the CPU fan to spin and the graphics card fan to spin and the power LED comes on the board.

Here's my hardware: ASUS M4A79TDX Evo, Athlon II X4 630, XFX Radeon HD 5770, GSKILL DDR3 1600 Ripjaws (PC 12800), and Antec TP-750W.

Here's what I did to troubleshoot.
    I took the motherboard out of the case and placed it on the motherboard box so there would be no short circuiting.
    I unplugged my Hardrive and my Optical drive for simplification.
    I had my friend bring his computer and I tested my RAM and my graphics card and my power-supply on his computer and his computer booted up fine.

So I think that means that I've narrowed it down to the motherboard or the CPU. I tried clearing the CMOS on the mother board and moving the RAM around to different ports to see if one of the ports is not working. I guess I still don't know if the BIOS is updated for my CPU but I was insured that it was when I called ASUS.

It puzzles me as to why the CPU fan would still spin if the motherboard is broken but I guess it could.

I'm posting on this forum because from the research I did online I haven't heard any problems about the CPU being bad but many about this motherboard being bad.

So is there any other tests I can try on my mobo before I RMA it?

PS I already went over the steps for beginners to do if the computer does not POST.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    You seem to have narrowed it down fairly well to the CPU or Motherboard. The only tests I would even bother with would be a visual check of the board to see if it is in any way damaged or if any capacitors have blown (they will look bulged or discoloured).

The only other thing would be to test your CPU in a known good board or a known good CPU in your board to see if it makes any difference.

Other than that, if they are new and still under guarantee I would contact the supplier and RMA the board and CPU if you can not confirm which is at fault.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice