1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Post with New Comp (all used parts)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parmcat, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Parmcat

Parmcat Thread Starter

Just put together a new system with all used parts...

The system powers on, but I get no post....nothing on the screen. I have removed, and tried 3 different HD's, and 2 Vid cards. I was unable to test the MOBO before hand, but was told it was good.

I reset the Cmos, and changed the Cmos battery also.

I have also unplugged all drives, and tried to boot with just power, and the vid card, but still nothing.

Any ideas which way to go next?

Parm

2. pinntech

pinntech

You could try to boot the system without a video card - see if it produces any POST beeps, which it definitely should without the video card if the board/mem/cpu are good.

Honestly, I would unhook all drives and power cables to the drives. Then remove all cards installed, including the VIDEO card. Then remove the RAM. See if the board will post or not.

Only one problem with that, it depends on how old the parts are. Some older motherboards would not POST at all if the memory was not installed.

What type of board are you using? What processor? What memory? Are there any jumper settings on the motherboard for various CPU's?

However, if I was forced to guess off hand, I would say that either your board is bad or your CPU. Process of elimination will solve that specific issue.

3. Parmcat

Parmcat Thread Starter

Hi Pinn,

Thanks for the response. I am at work, so I will not be able to test until I get home. The board is an Asus A7V. AMD Duron 1 Gb CPU, 256 PC133 Azenram. I have not yet gone to check all the jumpers on the board....but I will try to boot just the board....when I do that, with nothing plugged into it, what should I expect to happen?

Thanks again

Parm

4. pinntech

pinntech

No problem....

Before you do all that, you need to make sure that the board is set to JumperFree Mode (JEN).

Dip Switch (marked DSW):

Set DSW to all OFF - should be four of them and watch out, there is another set right next to them.

Jumpers VID4, VID3, VID2, VID1 should all be set to 3 & 4

Jumper JEN should be set to 2 & 3

That should get you into JumperFree Mode.

After you do that, plug the AC Outlet cord back in, look to see if the GREEN LED located just under the AGP port eluminates or not. If it does not eluminate, you have a problem with power. Which could also be the board.

It has been a very LONG time since I have worked with this board. I do mean very long time.

It was a problem board with the faster CPU's. If my memory serves me correctly, anything above 800MHz had to be Jumpered to make them work correctly, but they would still POST while in JumperFree Mode. The CPU's were just incorreclty set - such as FSB, multipliers and so forth.

Also... Do any of your fans turn or LED's light up at all? Does it seem that everything is plain old DEAD?

I was just wondering, I had a client once that built his own system using the A7V and his did that. When he hooked up the power to the FDD, he missed a pin, offsetting them by one... shorted the power. After connecting it back correctly, the system powered on and ran just fine.

Also, for your motherboard to support the DURON (not Athlon) 1000 it has to be PCB Revision 1.05 and have the BIOS at 1008.

Here are some references.....

http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

At the above link, click on QUERY BY MOTHERBOARD

First drop down list, select SOCKETA (4762)

Second drop down list, select A7V

Also, you can find the manual on your motherboard here...

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm

Just type A7V in the nice little SEARCH box on the lower right hand side of the screen.

Hope this helps....

Shane

5. ranger007

ranger007

That's happened to me twice in the past couple of months and it was the CPU (just happened to be an AMD Duron also) - both times.

But the only way (I'm no expert) I know of is to start with as few components as necessary and replace them one at a time until you find the bad one.

Best of luck

Best of luck

6. Parmcat

Parmcat Thread Starter

Hi Shane,

What a great reponse. I now cant wait to get home to play with the board again (I work until 7:00)

I do know that last night the green led light was lit. Also, all fans, and the HDD did have action, and were spinning. I just found a copy of the man ual, and was going to print off all 100 pages, but the netwaork I am on does not have acrobat loaded, and I can not read it. (crap)

Again, I thank you for the time for this reponse.

Parm

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice