1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Power LED, nothing but fans & floppy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bevorocks, Jul 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bevorocks

Bevorocks Thread Starter

Have a VIA P4266E, Intel Celeron 1.8, using PC100 128MB mem, w/400 watt power supply and ATX Radeon 7000 (64MB) vid card. Just bought barebone system and video card. Worked great for couple of weeks. Have system plugged into surge protector. Every once in awhile in my neighborhood, power goes off, comes right back on. One night this happened and I noticed next day that power LED on case was not green as usual and when I tried to turn on machine, the HDD light on case lights, fans (power supply and cpu) come on and floppy lights green, but no display, hdd sound or cd lights. I have tried removing cmos bat to reset, I have tried booting with nothing on mb, but mem, vid card and still same problem. PS/2 keyboard lights briefly when I plug into mb, so I know mb is getting power. Any help is greatly appreciated and I hope quickly! Thanks!

2. slipe

slipe

Welcome to TSG.

Was there lightening in the area? The $10 surge protectors are useless for a lightening surge. The ones that are good against lightening are sufficiently pricey that it is almost as cheap to watch the sales for a good UPS.

Usually just losing power does no harm – especially if the computer is not on. My friend had similar indications after a lightening storm and the shop said the MB was fried.

3. Bevorocks

Bevorocks Thread Starter

No, no lightening. If mb is receiving power, which the keyboard lighting indicates, could the mb still be fried?

4. Bevorocks

Bevorocks Thread Starter

Also, how do you tell for sure if mb is fried (computer was not on when power went off)?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would be looking at the powersupply first. Surge bars are useless - they are ineffective against the worst things for computers like lightening, quick power spikes, and brownouts. A UPS is the only reliable protection. Usually the powersupply is damaged - ie it doesn't supply the right voltages or enough voltage although it could be more.

On friday a computer came into the shop - would not boot or display anything yet all the lights and fans worked. The powersupply smelled burnt and the RAM had 6 burn marks on it. Nothing, in the computer works - its all DEAD. There was strong winds in the morning and the power flicker off for a split second and thats all it took.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also, if the surge bar is not off then the computer still has power coming into it and flowing thro the mobo. ATX systems and never really 100% off like the old AT systems.

7. Bevorocks

Bevorocks Thread Starter

Power supply is brand new, I just got this whole barebone sys less than a month ago. The computer I used to have did this exact same thing and I thought it was all fried which is why I bought this sys. The only things in common with this mb/cpu is memory, cd, cdrw, hard drives, floppy and monitor. Oh and I took the heatsink/fan off of cpu the other night and left sys running for a few minutes to see if cpu was getting warm and it was.

8. Bevorocks

Bevorocks Thread Starter

Tks for those that replied. It apparently was the power supply. I took the power supply out of my old computer and tried it, IT WORKS! I am going to get in touch with company I purchase from and get a replacement. Sure glad I tried this forum...I was 'bout to lose my mind!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/146485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice