Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No power on button press.

1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  xdfsx 
#1 ·
I have a custom built computer, been working fine for two years. Comes last week, a storm passed by my house and power went out. When I come home from work I try to turn it on and no joy. I remember that I had 7 years warranty on my corsair AX1200i PSU. So I did a warranty claim, comes today and put new PSU and still no joy. Things I have tried are, re-seat the RAM also CPU, only 1 RAM. And no joy. When I press the power button theres nothing. No lights no leds. When I press the self test button several times, once in a while I see lights and fans working. I tried Memok on motherboard and no joy. One thing I did notice was when I remove the 4 pin CPU cable from PSU, the self test works instantly but the power button still doesnt work. Nothing, also did jumper on power l, reset CMOS. Could this be my CpU fried? Or the motherboard? I still need to take it out from case and check for capacitors etc..

Specs:3930k i7 CPU LGA 2011 6 core.
Asus x79 TUF motherboard.
G. Skill sniper ram 32GB{4x8Gb)
4TB storage drive
258Gb Samsung pro ssd
Corsair AX 1200i
Corsair H100i Cooler.
I think ill just send in the mobo tor replacement since it has 5 years warranty. I hope its not my CPU...
Thanks for the help in advanced.

See less See more
#2 ·
Probably the motherboard. The motherboard has multiple ways in that a power surge could come in; power supply, a USB device that's connected to power, the Ethernet card if connected to a router or modem, and the monitor.

If the CPU is fried then the motherboard would be as well, no way to the CPU without going thru the motherboard first. CPU's tend to survive a lot.

Have you disconnected all external devices from the system and tried powering the computer on by itself?

#3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes I have tried booting the mobo without the CPU and nothing happens when I press the power button. I did remove all external drives, internal drives. Everything just PSU and Mobo with jumper. And nothing, but my question is, can the mobo boot up without a CPU? like if I press the power button does the LEDS have to turn on or fans? I know there won't be post, but for troubleshooting, does it need the CPU to be working for it to turn on? If not, then the mobo is fried for sure.

#6 ·
I've never seen a computer turn on without a CPU, maybe some do but most will not. The CPU is required for the motherboard to power on. If the motherboard doesn't power on then no lights or fans will work either, the motherboard keeps the power supply on.

#7 ·
Okay, so the question still remains if the CPU is fried or the mobo.. But like I said on post, when I press the self test on the PSU mobo turns on and fans. So I really dont know if its the mobo or cpu since theres nothing when I press the power button. Driving me nuts. Ill just send the mobo back for replacement hopefully it wont be CPU... 600$ down the drain since only 1 year warranty.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Yes just found out that it has 3 years, im in luck. Unfortunately theres no local shops, well that I know of. Only thing close is geeksquad and they ain't good at this. And if there is a shop I doubt they have the same socket processor. People usually come to me for computer repairs etc. But I've never seen this before. It has to be either mobo or CPU. I'll keep this thread posted, going to do RMA on mobo.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.