1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No power??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aimee, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aimee

aimee Thread Starter

My COMPAQ will not turn on at all. I've searched the forum for similar problems over the last few months but everyone else seems to have had at least lights flickering on their hard drive or they hear a whirring CD drive. Not mine, I get nothing, nada, zip. I hit the power button and it's dead. I've done the obvious things like unplugged/plugged into another outlet, tried the power cord on another computer (it worked) but on the COMPAQ I get nothing. This started as an intermittent problem, once I unplugged and plugged back in it was fine as long as I didn't power off but when I did, it was tough to get it back on. Any chance this is a battery issue...or more likely a power supply problem?
    Thanks

2. Flrman1

Flrman1

Sounds like a power supply problem. Have you opened up the case and checked all your connections to be sure they are securely connected?

3. aimee

aimee Thread Starter

Yup, I've ck'd all connections. I'm figuring it's the power supply, just wondered if you knew what the symptoms of a dead battery would be?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This may be a MB issue, since the MB actually keeps the power supply turned on in ATX systems. It's best to try substituting another P/S to see which component has failed. Of course, if absolutely nothing happens when you push the power switch, you might also check to see if the front panel switch is connected properly to the MB, since that's the symptom you'd see if it were not.

5. Chum

Chum

I have repaired several machines with this exact problem by resetting the CMOS...unplug power cord remove battery, short out the connectors for battery for 20 seconds...then try it...You will have to reset all of your BIOS settings after doing this so try Power supply first.

6. aimee

aimee Thread Starter

Since I have no other ps to swap I'll try the option that will require resetting BIOS. If this doesn't work I'm going to keep this for parts, does it's got a faster Pentium that my current system, any ideas on finding out if I can take the processor from the Compaq and put it in a Sony?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice