"No preview available" for most attached jpgs...help!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ChickaD

I cannot open jpg attachments in email. The viewers say "no preview available". I was using Thunderbird, but also tried downloading into IncrediMail and Outlook Express, with the same result. I view on MailWasherPro first, then download into the email client when and where I want to. Sometimes some of the jpgs will show if they are in the body of the email, but sometimes there are only the red xs. I have tried saving the attached jpgs and the one gif I could not view to file and opening, but that does not work either. Can you please tell me some things to look at? I also had some emails that were blank when this first began, but I haven't had any regular emails that are blank since the first few days when this trouble began.

I use IE 6, SP 2. I have FireFox installed, but usually use IE.

Let me know what other information I can supply that might help.

Thanks for any and all help!

Give this a try, not sure it will work but it won't hurt.
Be sure OE is closed.
Click Start-->Run.
Type: regsvr32 inetcomm.dll
Note the space between the 2 and i.
Click OK.

If that made no difference, try temporarily disabling anti-virus and firewall. See if it works. If so, figure out which program is at fault. If you have email scanning turned on, turn that off - you don't need double protection. If you download an infected attachment, your anti-virus will still catch it.

Spyware is possible. Hijack This Log might point out something. Download from here. Not zipped, so you can make a new folder for it and save it there. Close all open windows before running Hijack This. Click 'Do a system scan and save a logfile.' Copy the entire log in notepad and paste it here. Do not fix anything yet because most items are normal or needed. Then hope someone here will analyze the log.

Hijack This

sekirt

ChickaD

Hi Sekirt,

When I ran the item in Run, I got this message: DLL Register Server in inetcomm.dll succeeded. Is that what it should say if everything is okay?

I tried disabling Zone Alarm and AVG, but it did not correct the problem.

I have tried forwarding these problem emails to myself and downloading them into the other email programs. I now have Thunderbird as default email program. But when I try to open an attachment in OE, the box from IncrediMail pops up wanting the password-- I have an account set up in IncrediMail that is password protected. That should not be happening. I am going to contact IncrediMail and find out why it is doing that. Shouldn't I be able to open attachments no matter what the default is set at, no matter whether the email was forwarded from another email program? I hope I am describing what these email programs are doing sufficiently so you can understand. It is kinda confusing. I was not "skipping around" programs when this happened. I had been using Thunderbird for email, but when I started having problems, then I began trying the attachments in OE and IncrediMail to see if they could handle the attachments.

I had my log checked at tomcoyote and got an 'all clear' after removing a search assistant. I will be glad to post a log again though, if necessary.

Thanks for your recommendations...I do appreciate your time and help. Please let me know if you think of something else I can try. I have tried both Jasc and Windows Picture viewer. I don't know anything about checking out options in these two programs. Do they ever conflict? If there are some settings to check in them, let me know how to get to them and what to check. Thanks!

Is that what it should say if everything is okay?
Yes

I don't use Thunderbird or Incredimail. If you want to continue using Thunderbird for your default email client, there are others here that use it and maybe they can answer.

Yes, emails should be received normally regardless which client is the default.

Do you have XP SP2? Are you using Firefox as your browser? Or IE?
If you are using IE, maybe you have security set too high.
Tools->Internet Options->Security Tab. Make sure you have Internet set to Default Level. Click Custom Level and verify it says medium.

sekirt

ChickaD

I have XP SP2....I use IE ...I just checked and I had made some custom selections in Tools, Internet Options, Security, so I clicked default and tried the attachments with the setting at medium, with no change in how the attachments can be opened.

I began using Thunderbird after reading negative things about IncrediMail (I use the paid version) and after reading about security problems with OE. I am willing to use whatever email client available to clear up this problem viewing attachments. I mentioned in another post that this problem occurred about the same time I used Ccleaner for the first time. But I have been assured that Ccleaner could not, would not, cause this problem.

Please let me know if you think of something else to try! Many thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online