1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Primary HDD Detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonuck, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonuck

jonuck Thread Starter

I am in the process of intergrating a new computer and everything is going smoothly until I get to post ........ the message I get then is "No Primary HDD Detected" ..... it recognises the HDD but only as "Third IDE Master" and describes its entity ...... it is a brand new Seagate 250gb Sata2 HDD ..... am I right to assume that it will not recognise it until it has been formatted and initialised. Welcome advise before I proceed>

jonuck, ;)

2. norton850

norton850

No. Your computer BIOS doesn't care if a drive is partitioned or formatted. Where/when exactly do you get that message and please post MB make and model.

3. jonuck

jonuck Thread Starter

The M|B is an ASUS P5LD2 and the HDD is a Seagate Barracuda 250gb Sata 2 which is interfaced to the SATA 1 port on the board. In the Bios main Menu the HDD is annoted as "3rd IDE Master and the CD/DVD drive is annoted as "Primary IDE Slave" ..... "Primary IDE Master " is "Not Detected" ....... I have a feeling I am missing something here!.

jonuck.

4. norton850

norton850

I'm going to correct what I said since I think I misunderstood your post. It looks like your BIOS sees the SATA drive (3rd IDE which is OK). At what stage are you getting the no HDD drive message?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The sata controller [intel] on that board has three modes; standard ide, raid, or a combined mode. How do you have it configured in the bios?

6. jonuck

jonuck Thread Starter

I am getting NO Drive Detected on the post message at initial boot ... 0,1,2, are annoted Not Detected and 3 detects the Optical drive .... there is other information but it loads too quick for me to discern ....... once Windows loads however all devices are shown in Device Manager ... I have loaded the applicable driver for the ata/atapi controllers but I am not sure if any SATA controller drivers are required .... none are shown on the M/b support disc. I am configured as Standard Ide Mode for Sata in the Bios

7. norton850

norton850

BIOS shows all the drives. Correct?
    You get a no HDD detected message. Then what? It just continues to boot into Windows and everything is OK? Is the SATA your only drive and it has Windows on it (if yes had to have partitioned and formatted it already). I don't believe with your MB that you need to do the install SATA drivers routine, only if you have a RAID setup which you don't.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, I think I may have something. There are two different ver of that board [and numerous suffixs] You may have a board with two sata controllers on the board; the intel or native one and the ITE controller. Which one do you have your drive connected to and are you sure you have loaded the correct driver for the controller?

If possible provide a link to your exact board so we can check the specs.

9. jonuck

jonuck Thread Starter

Yes it continues on to boot into Windows and everything is OK ..... and the SATA is the only drive. My concern was not seeing this drive annoted as the Primary IDE Drive in the BIOS Main Menu and no mention of the Optical Drive. I did proceed and loaded Windows from the O|S disc and was able Partition and format the drive then. I must mention that I am unfamilar with SATA drives hence my concerns may be a little overblown and I appreciate your patience with me. It would appear that the SATA drive is fully recognised but as the Third IDE Master and the PciPnP config is set to let the BIOS configure the devices.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Newer intel chipsets do not have native support for ide devices. Some board makers do include ide connectors on the board and this does result in some confusion. These are called various things ie EZ boot, etc. This may be what you are seeing.

11. jonuck

jonuck Thread Starter

As far as I can tell from comparsion at Asus site this is the M/B that I have it is annoted as just P5LD2.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=185&model=515&modelmenu=1

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you check the link, you will see you have s separate controller for ide devices. This is probably because there is no native ide support with your chipset. As long as it is working fine, then do not worry about it.

13. jonuck

jonuck Thread Starter

Many Thanks guy's ...... my experience in this fascinating world of cyberspace is expanding by the minute and much of it is due to the patience and expertise of the members on this forum ..... I will now sail on and complete this project for my eager young Grand-Daughter.

14. jonuck

jonuck Thread Starter

It would seem that I am not completely out of the woods with reference to my SATA configuration ....... I have installed an External HDD to this M|B ...... it is a Vantec eSATA 2 and USB interface ...... the system recognises the USB interface and allowed me to initialise , Partition and format the drive but I cannot get the SATA interface to recognise the drive. The HDD is a Seagate Barracuda 320gb Sata2 and the enclosure is a Vantec Nexstar 3 eSATA could my previous concerns with Sata interface and this be related?. It would appear that no drivers are required for this unit in WINXP.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

How does the drive connect to the computer? Does it use usb, firewire, or sata connections?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice