1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No programs listed in Add/Remove Programs Window

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by glenshere, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. glenshere

glenshere Thread Starter

When I go to the Change or Remove Programs Button of the Add-Remove Programs window in the Control Panel, there are no programs listed at all. The window is totally blank. The list for the Currently Installed Programs is completely empty. Does anyone know how I can get my installed programs displayed so that I can delete a couple? Any reason why this would happen?

I have Windows XP.

Thanks for your help!

2. AquaFire

AquaFire

You're sure that your blank screen is not just Windows taking a while to read your list of programs. I have a LOT of apps installed and the Add/Remove Programs window takes a LONG time to go load them all, and while doing so, i get a blank screen. Or is it actually hanging due to some other error?

My guess is that it could be a problem in your registry.

Start Registry Editor (Click START, RUN, Type Regedit.exe in the field).

Locate the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Your installed programs should appear as keys at that point. Are they there?

I switched to Add/Remove Plus 2004 which is quicker and better in my opinion. Perhaps try the demo version and see if it lists your installed apps.
    http://www.aurelitec.com/indexp.htm

3. glenshere

glenshere Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it isn't that it is just taking a long time to load. I can have that window open for any length of time, the programs simply do not appear. I do not even get the momentary "please wait while your programs are being populated" statement.

I checked the registry and sure enough, all of my programs are listed. At a loss, now. I will try the Add/Remove Plus 2004 demo, maybe it will install some needed files or something.

Thanks

4. Moby

Moby

Any answers on how to make them show with just windows? I was looking at a friends computer last night with the same problem. I had no idea where to start looking. Is there anything else to do if the uninstall programmes show in the registry?
    I read somewhere that windows cannot show uninstall entries with more than 63 characters. Would one entry with more than 63 stop the rest showing?
    If I can't get any answers, I'm ignoring his phonecalls :D

5. kath100

kath100

6. glenshere

glenshere Thread Starter

Now that's scary! I definitely would go 3rd party uninstall before attempting that.

I did read something also about the more than 63 character string in the registry causing ALL of the programs to not appear in Add/Remove programs. I certainly am not going to count all my program registry strings to find out which is over 63 characters. I would just go 3rd party, instead.

I did try the demo of Add/Remove Programs Pro 2004, and it works great. Fully functioned for 30 days on the demo, so I was able to clean up my program list right away.

Thanks for the input, maybe someone will have the solution (other than 3rd party uninstaller) :)

7. Moby

Moby

Thanks Kath, I'll give it a whirl. It looks a doddle ;)

8. Stevie_c

Stevie_c

What about the uninstall program, for the programs you are trying to uninstall. Most programs have them, try safemode as well, maybe programs running in the background are taking up most of your memory & thats why it is taking a long time to load.

1. Try safemode, see if the programs show up in Add/Remove.
    2. Disable the Startup group & ALL non-microsoft services using MSconfig.
    Then try Add/Remove again in Normal mode.

9. kath100

kath100

Yes, you can do it over the phone :eek:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!