1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No RegEdt32--Where Is It?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alex Ethridge, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I've got a new Averartec 3200 laptop here with Windows XP Pro. When I try to start RegEdt32, I get RegEdit instead. When I start RegEdit, I get the same as when I type RegEdt32. What gives? I've tried logging on with the built-in Administrator account and as a user with Administrator privilidges with no change in result.

Where is RegEdt32? I have two of these Averatec 3200's here, one with Home and One with Pro and they both suffer from this malady.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. Alex Ethridge

Hmmm...

It doesn't have a Security menu item.

Wonder what else is missing.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For XP, REGEDT32 is no longer necessary, the security settings that used to be missing from REGEDIT for 2K are included in XP.

5. Alex Ethridge

I have no security menu item in RegEdit or RegEdt32 in XP.

How is it that the security settings are included in RegEdit (for XP)?

This is not an argumentative question; I just don't see it or understand it.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is none. All that is now in Group Policy. As mentioned, regedt32 just calls regedit in XP and all security settings are elsewhere.

Try gpedit.msc or mmc.exe or secpol.msc.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Alex Ethridge,

Also I'm pretty sure that XP Home does not have the Group Policy Editor like the Pro version does.

What type of restrictions are you wanting to put in place?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Looks like we have some more thread-thrashing.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I'm not sure what "thread-thrashing" is or what it is referring to.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

But hopefully the comment about "thread-thrashing" was not related to my mentioning that XP Home did not have the Group Policy Editor.

From the line in the very first post "I have two of these Averatec 3200's here, one with Home and One with Pro"

this seemed like something that needed clarification.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, it was all clear---at one time. So much for clarity.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Except for my post, I don't see the clarification about the Group Policy Editor only being available with XP Pro and not on the Home version (both of which they have) being clarified or mentioned anywhere else.

It would likely be somewhat confusing and frustrating if they tried to run it on their XP Home computer and it wasn't there. Is there some reason this information is incorrect?

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Alex Ethridge,

All you really need to be concerned about in regards to this is that, if you decide to run it for security purposes, your XP Pro computer has the Group Policy Editor and your XP Home one does not. No point in wasting your time trying to find something that is not there.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Alex Ethridge,

Also just checked the source files for XP Home and it doesn't have the secpol.msc file either. So no point wasting your time trying to run this on that computer either.

You can run both on your XP Pro computer to make whatever security changes you need to or are available.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

Alex Ethridge,

You can put him on your Ignore list as so many others have and most threads will become much clearer. It cleans up threads nicely.

I'm sure you are well aware of what Home contains from your use of it on your laptop.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/336769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice