1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No "removable disc" icon under "My computer"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by wkyken, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wkyken

wkyken Thread Starter

Hello, I have a Lenovo R61i laptop that uses XP pro as its platform. I recently had to start from scratch, but now, when I tried to download photos from my Canon Exilim EX-V8 onto my hard drive, I see no "removable disc" icon under "My computer." Can anyone please help me download the photos?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. wkyken

wkyken Thread Starter

Hi, Chuck ... I checked, and I do have the latest version of firmware already in the camera. I'm starting to think my version of Windows XP is corrupt in some way, and that's why the icon doesn't show up. The trouble is, I have no idea how to fix it.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I believe I said "driver" (software that installs on the computer in order to communicate with the camera), not firmware.

EDIT: Added screen cap showing driver section of web page.

Attached Files:

5. wkyken

wkyken Thread Starter

Thanks, Chuck. I have downloaded the drivers and connected up the camera through a USB port, but the "Removable Disc" icon is still not there when I open "My computer." Very frustrating.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Does the camera need to be turned on for the USB connection to work?

Does the computer acknowledge you plugging in the camera with a balloon popup and/or an icon on the task bar?

7. wkyken

wkyken Thread Starter

It sits in a cradle with a specific USB button to push to turn it on. I get the sound that acknowledges the connection to the computer has been made, and I did get a balloon acknowledgement the first time I connected the camera to the computer, but not since then. (The icon had always come up before.) Now I have no icon that gives me something to click on so that I can access a folder where the files would be located. I know the name of the folder, but it does not turn up in a search.

8. DerekC

DerekC

Have you tried any other USB Devices since you "recently had to start from scratch"? After reinstalling Windows, did you reinstall all the drivers? http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/migr-67856.html I would suggest the Chipset drivers under the "Windows install supplements" section.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/980654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice