1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No response to some Control Panel icons

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CAtaxgal, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CAtaxgal

CAtaxgal Thread Starter

Hi, I'm hoping that you can help.

I'm running Windows XP Pro and SP2 was just recently downloaded/installed. What I'm having trouble with now is that some of the icons in the Control Panel produce no response, although some do such as Administrative Tools. I've tried appwiz.cpl from the command prompt and it brings up the add/remove programs menu fine. When you right click on the non-functioning icons the menu is Open and Create Shortcut. Open brings no response.

There are also some of the same issues with Set Program Access/Defaults plus Help and Support from the Start Menu. No response when clicked.

Any help you can give will be much appreciated!

2. dr20

dr20

Hi just for the heck for it try opening the applets via command prompt if you haven't yet.

First go to the Start button > Search for Files or Folders and type in

*.cpl

From that list are the file names of your icons in the Control Panel. Go to the Start button > run and type in or paste for example:

c:\windows\system32\joy.cpl

You can also just click on the icons from the System32 folder that come up when you type in *.cpl in Search for Files or Folders and see if you get any response.

3. CAtaxgal

CAtaxgal Thread Starter

Hi and thanks for the reply,

I've tried, for example appwiz.cpl via the command prompt and it comes up just fine.

I've also tried the 'fix icons' function of Tweak UI (no change) and I've checked the registry settings to see if the icons had been disabled - although I didn't think that would bring about this result.

Still looking for help!!

Thanks

4. dr20

dr20

Hi when go to the Start button > Search for Files or Folders and type *.cpl have you tried right clicking those applet files that come up and requesting to open them via the Control Panel? If not see if that works. Also if you just click on them from the Search Results window you may get the same response, which is a prompt to install them in the Control Panel.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice