no restore points and can't create restore point

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

clarabell

Hi hope I'm in the right place. when I try to restore my computer no restore points are saved I have the system restore set to it's maximum capacity, there is plenty of space. I tried to create my own restore points and received message sytem restore is not able to create restore point please restart the computer and then run system restore again. I did and got same message again. Can someone please tell me how to rectify this problem. Thanks.

P.s. Was having trouble with screensaver which refused to start but have now disabled ehtray and screensaver is now working again. :confused:

clarabell

Hi 12tipp12

thanks for the info have done what you said unfortunately it hasn't worked. (n)

Mr. Newton

Terry
I just did the 289 one 5 minutes ago before i saw this post but haven't tried it yet.will check & see if it works for me.

Mr. Newton

Terry
Hi again, i just did a system restore & that 289 one worked for me,,,maybe try it again.

clarabell

Ok. so I have tried it all - still nothing.
think this computer must have little gremlins inside working to their own schedule.

Hi, you do have restore switched on, right click computer>properties>system restore and make sure the off box is unchecked.

Bill

Mr. Newton

Terry
You didn't know there was a gremlin inside your machine? :)
Try this,,go to start menu,click run,type in sfc /scannow ,you need the space between the first c & the /,,,you will be prompted to insert your windows install disk to complete the check .All this only works if you are using windows xp,,i'm not sure about vista.
Good luck.

clarabell

Hi
Yes system restore is switched on.

Computer which is an acer did not come with any windows disk just like my packard bell before it - apparently everything is in a hidden partition???????:confused:
Computer has windows xp home edition in it.

clarabell

Hi
Am starting to fret. :(
Have SR and SR.PNF but no SR.INF. No files are hidden.
Computer has just tried to automatically update itself with sp3 when I connected to internet. Error code came up and was unable to install.
Do I have a duff computer? Beginning to think so!

Oh dear, do you have your xp disk, it's starting to look like a repair install.

Bill

Hi just read no windows disk, reboot and tap on F8 as it boots, from there you should have a repair option, be warned that will/if return your pc to factory settings so backup all your required data first.

Bill

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online