1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Rom Basic

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kdoig, May 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kdoig

kdoig Thread Starter

On start up I get an error message...No Rom Basic, System Halted.

I'm trying to narrow down a startup problem I've been having for the last few days...trying to figure out if it is the CPU motherboard or hard drives..and this is the newest error I have.. I believe this is a BIOS error??

Problems before would be the system hangs when trying to either format a hard drive, scandisk and installing windows before it gets to the actual setup..

Could someone confirm this and direct me on which course of action to take?

2. active95

active95

Try this . Boot from a bootable diskette and enter fdisk. Within fdisk choose option 2 to set active partition and set drive you wish to be bootable as the active partition.

3. RobOman

RobOman Temporarily Banned

if it is a bios problem the cheapest and easiest thing to check would be your bios battery mounted on your mother board.

Just a place to start I have never hads that message before.

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi kdoig

You are probably getting this error because the system isn't finding the system files on your hard drive. It could be a bad hard drive, bad cable or bad motherboard. Check the rom on boot up to see if the drive is being detected correctly. If it is seeing the drive correctly run fdisk (option 4) from a boot disk to see if you have a good partition on the drive. If you cant see the drive with Fdisk recheck cables and drive jumpers. If this doesn't help I would try a new hard drive. BOL

P.S. It was normal for older systems to load BASIC from rom when the system did not load an operating system from floppy or hard drives. Most later ROMS did not include the BASIC system in the ROM so that is the message no ROM BASIC found.

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

active95, and Lurker1 are both correct in this, I have seem this error several times ( especially on Gateway pc's )...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/78815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice