1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no run button, no safe mode, no antivirus...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by grolando, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grolando

grolando Thread Starter

I have a host of problem that have developed of late. I installed a file conversion program called Audio Convert and during the install some odd 'windows related" messages came up. Awhile ago you helpedme solve an issue regarding a "No Disk" error. You saw that I had no antivirus engine and I've been tring with my IS{P to get their program working but still have had no luck, you suggested AVG and I tried and failed to get it to install and load properly. After that little incident recently, I've lost my "Run" button, after clicking stat, I ahve no Shut Down/REstart buttons, instead I have a switch user button. I lost my Msconfig, and can't restart in safe mode, in any of them, the computer goes into a restart.

I've got an HP Pavillion m7480n, P4 930, 2G of RAm, Wndow XP Media Center Edition, it's 2 months old

Can you help?

2. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    You really need to buy and install a Internet Security program such as Norton's or the one from Trend Micro, PC-cillin, and these include both a good firewall and a anti-virus apps, which are very critical if you go online at all. Also try running the system file checker tool, which is done by click your start, then run, and type in this; sfc /scannow, but you may need a windows XP CD to put in your PC so it can copy system files which were missing or corrupt. If your HP computer only has recovery disk CDs, then just try to borrow a XP CD to use for this.

3. grolando

grolando Thread Starter

I've tried to install and antivirus but can never get it to work. It always fails on the install or in the antivirus engine starting up. Also, I don't seem to have a Run: function anymore, it's gone and has been for about two weeks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!